Megan's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dec 17, 2011

bookshelves: favourites, books-i-was-surprised-to-enjoy, ebooks
Read in December, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I started at 10pm and finished at 2am... captivating storytelling!
I had just finished The Hunger Games and was a little exhausted with the whole dystopian theme. I generally don't read these kinds of novels, yet a family friend lent me Divergent and I figured I had nothing better to do so I started reading and kept reading until I finished the final page.
This book intrigued me. I enjoyed how the author took us into a world where humans had to decide one way to be for the rest of their lives. It's intriguing because it goes against every element of human nature. The idea of picking one virtue and living only by its traits seems ludicrous.
This book had just the right amount of romance and it wasn't a "OMG I love him and can't live without him" right off the bat... in other words Roth isn't suffering from Twilight syndrome.
It's by no means the best book out there but after a few years of the sickening Twilight trend it was a welcoming read!

I really think that later in the series we will discover most people are "divergent" but some are just better at concealing/denying it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/27/2016 marked as: read