Shoshana's Reviews > The Hunger Games

Dec 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: dystopias, sci-fi, unowned-book
Read on December 17, 2011

Hm. I was initially really reluctant to read this book, because, frankly, its synopsis sounds exactly like Battle Royale. But I there was a lot of hype going on about it among my friends, so I decided to suck it up and read the book. It was...not quite as good as I expected, I guess. So much for the almost 5-star streak this book seems to have.

While I thought this book was good for a YA definitely lacked a good depth to the world as a dystopia. I really enjoyed the story, but I guess more from an action-adventure/plot-progression standpoint, as opposed to anything deeper. The story was also pretty typical--standard action with romance mixed in. Which is probably what made it enjoyable, but from in a shallow sense. It made me miss YA novels with actual plot twists and more politics (as necessary to the plot--which in this case it certainly was). I mean, in comparison to Harry Potter, which is often hailed as the YA novel that all others are compared to, the plot was very simplistic. It was good.... but it also felt like it could have been so much more and still YA. YA doesn't mean it has to be as simplistic as Twilight...but I think Collins was sort of trying to take on a similar tone (though with much better characters/plot/setting/everything). I dunno. It felt a little dumbed down. Good, not great. An enjoyable read, but at the end of the day, a bit of a disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.