Ben Zajdel's Reviews > Joshua

Joshua by Joseph F. Girzone

7120400
Dec 17, 2011

What if Jesus came back today? Would we recognize him? Joshua tries to answer that question. A simple carpenter moves to the outskirts of a small town named Auburn, mystifying the locals with his beautiful wood carvings and astute insights into religion. Joshua lives a happy life, making toys for children and fixing furniture for the elderly. People are drawn to him. He is friendly, never too busy to stop and have a conversation. The things he discusses speaks to their hearts. It doesn't take long before the whole town considers him a friend.

But soon Joshua's views on religion and the church bring trouble with the established clergy in town. They don't like the things he says about the way their churches are operated. He is soon summoned to Rome to interview with a panel of cardinals and bishops, and eventually meets the pope himself.

This book is a stunning commentary on the church and its failure to live the Gospel. Girzone captures the spirit of Jesus perfectly, borrowing heavily on Biblical examples. It is well-written, with simple prose that moves along delicately. The climax is never exposed, but foreshadowed well throughout the entire book. I had a hard time putting this book down.

8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joshua.

02/21 marked as: read

message 1: by David (new) - added it

David Lawrence Ben , Thank you much for your review I liked it much !
I was kind of struck with this sentence
"This book is a stunning commentary on the church and its failure to live the Gospel." Another way too look at that and perhaps a more "living water creation" way is to personalize it more , using the word "my" for the "the church" The bible tells us to confess "our " sins. When I see myself confessing someone else's sin it becomes so distant and impersonal i can't begin to change my self, for a moment can't even see myself , I am released from the burden of care for change of my heart.
I hope I am speaking out of love and if there is pride in my words you can see past it to what I am trying to communicate. Thaanks again Ben for starting me on this line of thinking. BTW i only read part of the book and years ago , I will now plan to reread it
David

Girlify45 I read this book in one sitting, and read in it a time I was needing Faith. This book restored it. Great book written by a real Father of the Cloth. I've since bought several copies and sent them out as gifts.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I picked up this book on a Sunday morning and could not put it down. Loved it!