Mel's Reviews > Watched

Watched by Cindy M. Hogan

Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: ya, mystery, romance
Read from December 17, 2011 to February 06, 2012 — I own a copy

I bought this book when I met the author. She was doing a signing and she and I had a really fun conversation. So I got a signed copy (YAY ME!) and took it home to read.

When I got there my 12 year old daughter 'Oreo' took a look at it and promptly stole it. She started reading it before I did. Halfway through the book she brought it back to me with the statement. "MOM! I AM SO MAD AT THE MAIN CHARACTER I CAN'T READ IT ANYMORE."

Okaaaaayeeeee.

So I put it in my stack o books and finally got to read it.

Halfway through...I was so mad at the main character I wanted to chuck it against the wall!!!! But I persevered!

And I was glad I did.

It hit me all of a sudden that this wasn't just "a coming of age because bad guys are after you" story, but something totally different. While the bad guys were definitely hot on her tail, she was also trying to make the "new, better, and improved me!!!!!". She made some choices along the way that made me a little crazy. But then she came to the conclusion that... "The old me was pretty alright, I just need some minor tweaks and a little polishing and I'm pretty AWESOME."

From then on, I loved the story. I loved watching her take her lumps, and taking them as learning experiences and not falling into a ball of self wallowing pity. I loved her self realization of who she REALLY was, and how she came to realize even though a boy is totally HAWT doesn't mean he's good for you. And I loved that the bad guys got it in the end... or did they??? DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!

Now Oreo HAS to finish it. It is an awesome message for young people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watched.