Educating Drew's Reviews > Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary

1020619
Dec 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, disappointing, memoir-esque, essays, nonfiction

I feel as though I am one of the LAST people on the face of this reading planet who had not read David Sedaris. And I also have a huge confession to make:

Up until recently I managed to confuse David Eggers and David Sedaris. (I've still not read any Eggers...)

A good friend of mine raved about Sedaris when I asked if I should check out his stuff. Then, some time in the recent past, he was interviewed on The Daily Show. Since I admire and respect both my friend and Jon Stewart, I figured it was about damn time I sought out a book.

I chose squirrel seeks chipmunk because I wanted to ease myself in. From my understanding, Sedaris writes satirical essays. I don't generally read many essays, but have an affinity toward folk-tales. SsC seemed the route to go.

And you know what, I'm really glad I did. SsC is a collection of fifteen tales where Sedaris uses animals to mirror the best and worst of human characteristics. There were times when I actually LoL'd (surprisingly). Others made me cringe because he managed to capture some pretty faulty quirks of the human species. And then there were others still that I think went over my head and I'll have to reread them again.

Have you read any Sedaris? What should be my next book?
(or) (and)
Have you read any Eggers? Where should I start?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk.

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Try Me Talk Pretty One Day by Sedaris, and I'd start with Dave Eggers' short-story collection (can't remember name), before taking on his bigger works. Just my opinion!