Barbara's Reviews > Wicked Fix

Wicked Fix by Sarah Graves

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: mystery
Read from December 17 to 18, 2011

Love this series. Well thought-out, well crafted and well-written mysteries.

Yes, Jake (Jacobia Tiptree), and her best friend and partner in crime, Ellie White, do stick their nose into the murders that occur in the small town in Maine where they reside. (Remind you of Murder She Wrote for this particular detail? – Trust me; this series is better.) Jake is a recent transplant to the town, with her teen-age son, Sam, while Ellie is a native and her family has a long history in the town.

These are not cozy mysteries. While I can see how cozies developed from books like this, this book is more complex and nowhere near formulaic, which cozies tend to be. The plot progression is not predictable and the stories from book to book are not similar, as many cozies seem to be.

I don’t mean to bash cozies. I do like them (look at my list – I’ve read plenty); however, they seem to have pervaded and overwhelmed the present day mystery genre. This is not necessarily to the mystery genre’s benefit or its long-term growth and evolution.

While the heroines are two “non-professionals” and do their own investigations, they are not impulsive, impetuous and stupid. They analyze, talk among themselves and their immediate family and friends (which includes the local law enforcement official) to try to solve the murders. Yes, they do go off on their own and question suspects; however, they do not go off singly, (usually; there are a “few” exceptions), intrusively or irrationally. They are smarter, more cautious and controlled.

That does not mean they don’t end up in perilous situations, as evidenced in the denouement of this book. However, you do have a an exceptional intriguing and stimulating read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Fix.