Andrea Aten's Reviews > Dust and Decay

Dust and Decay by Jonathan Maberry

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: must-reads
Read from December 17 to 18, 2011

This is the forth Mayberry book I've read, and he never fails to stagger me with his use and knowledge of the English language.

I am not a fan of "zombie" books, but after meeting Mayberry at the Backspace Writer's Conference, I had to give one of his a try, and I was immediately hooked.

In Dust and Decay, he continues Benny's story with twists and turns that are beautifully written. I can feel's Benny's struggle between the kid his is and the man he knows he is becoming. Through friendship and losses, Benny's life is forever altered in the book that makes him a hero. Tom, Benny's older brother, may be considered the hero of the Rot and Ruin, but is Benny's change, his character flaws, his insecurities and his triumphs that make him a memorable character.

I like that the romance is there - we are dealing with teenagers as many of the lead characters, but it is not overly sexual in description, though the lack of words in the kissing scenes makes them more poignant to me. In the face of certain death, these kids are still struggling to live and love, and that is so vital to the story and to our nature as humans.

Benny isn't the only wonderfully written character. Tom is the older brother I think everyone would want; J-Dog, Dr. Skillz, and Sally are the zombie bounty hunters I would want to protect my blind spot if they bring a little humor to it, then more power to them. And if they are the quintessential good guys, then, unfortunately, I would have a bastard like Preacher Jack and White Bear to have to face - they are perfect foils to the honor and caring nature of Benny and Tom.

Let us not forget the kick ass heroines of Nix and Lilah who prove that women are more than a pretty face - scars and all.

Here's hoping that the next chapter in their stories is as equally adventurous, heart wrenching, and action packed...there will be a next chapter - right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust and Decay.