Meg ♥'s Reviews > How to Save a Life

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: cover-lover, own-copy, z-2012-reads
Recommended to Meg ♥ by: Shellie Brewer
Read from March 06 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy

Thank you to my good friend, Shellie, here on GR for sending me this book with a high recommendation. P.S. I love the cover of this book!

Being my first book from Sara Zarr I came into this book with no expectations. I don't read a lot of teen dramas, but this book has lots of good reviews so I wanted to read it. Zarr's writing reminds me of Kristin Hannah for YA. I realize I seem to be in the minority here, but to me this book was simply okay.

Jill is grieving her father that died. They were very close, and she thinks about him constantly. Her mother, Robin, is trying to adopt a baby from a teen named Mandy, and at first Jill is angry about this. Mandy has a horrible life at home with an abusive step father so she moves in with Robin and Jill for the last few months of her pregnancy. The story is told back and forth between Mandy and Jill's POV.

The author did a really good job at showing how your perception of people can be completely wrong. For this reason I think Mandy was the best written character. When we are reading from Jill's point of view Mandy comes off as kind of dumb, asking a lot of awkward questions. When we are reading for Mandy's POV, however, we are privy to the fact that she is aware that she does this, and actually sounds a lot more intelligent than she would seem to anyone speaking to her. Jill comes off as really rude, but deep down she's not so bad.

I liked Mandy and Jill despite their flaws. This story held special meaning for me since I was also pregnant around the same age as Mandy, and I felt the author did an okay job telling Mandy's POV. The ending of this book was completely predictable. I do have some praise for her ending and it is this (view spoiler)

I didn't find this story to be extremely powerful or intense, in fact there were many parts where my mind drifted in boredom, but overall it was a decent story with well written, relatable characters. I don't know what I'm missing here that everyone else adores so much of this book. I liked it, but everyone else seems to LOVE it.

As far as Zarr's writing goes I think she's a fantastic writer, and I will check out more of her books.
52 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Save a Life.

03/02/2012 page 58
17.0% "I can't get that song from The Fray out of my head right now. Ahhh!"
show 2 hidden updates…

✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ I'm going to be reading this book next. I always think of that soon too when I see this book. xx

Megan This story was interesting, well written... but like you I didn't find it to be as intense or moving as everyone else on here seemed to. It almost tried too hard to pull at the emotional strings. Also, Zarr created such messed up, complicated characters... but proceeded to give them (view spoiler) I didn't buy it.

message 3: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. I've got the song stuck in my head. Driving me nuts. Lol.

Meg ♥ Megan wrote: "This story was interesting, well written... but like you I didn't find it to be as intense or moving as everyone else on here seemed to. It almost tried too hard to pull at the emotional strings. A..."

Okay, thanks for the comment, Megan. I was starting to think I was missing something here or I was simply heartless. I didn't feel for these characters at all, really. I was able to get through it because I enjoyed the writing and it was short, but I expected to like it much more based on the fabulous reviews.

Meg ♥ Brittany B. wrote: "I've got the song stuck in my head. Driving me nuts. Lol."

Ahhhhh...I had it in my head The.Whole.Time I was reading this book...and while writing the review. And now again. Thank you! lol :p

Meg ♥ ✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ wrote: "I'm going to be reading this book next. I always think of that soon too when I see this book. xx"

I hope you like it, Zoey. Lots of others really enjoyed it much more than I did.