Emily Ever's Reviews > Underworld

Underworld by Meg Cabot

May 12, 12

bookshelves: ya, total-crap, didn-t-like-it, greek-mythology, magic, paranormal, romance
Read in May, 2012

I honestly was disappointed but I have had a hard time pinpointing why. Maybe because Cabot's characters are usually so vivid and bright and in the last couple of books I wouldn't be able to pick them out of a lineup.

I wanted to hear more about Kayla's vivaciousness, and Henry's short-circuiting psyche. And Pierce - another one of the ever-present, "The evidence is all in front of me but what does it MEAN??", kind of Heroines. For once I wish we could dispense with the dramatic irony and just let the heroines figure out things at the pace of a fully functioning human being, not one hindered by plot devices.

Maybe the fact that this wasn't so good has more to do with the fact that it's the second book in a trilogy which makes me question the wisdom of the trilogy convention in YA novels.

All in all I expected more from this book, but I'm still looking forward to the third. I love the Hades/Persephone adaption idea and Cabot has always been one of my favorite authors.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underworld.