Banner's Reviews > WWW: Wonder

WWW by Robert J. Sawyer

Dec 30, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from December 17 to 22, 2011

Overall this is a worthy series and one that I highly recommend. It is very entertaining and upbeat and yet not shallow. The characters are real and you grow to like them very much. Even with Webmind, I keep thinking how nice it would be to talk to him. The story is certainly worthy of the title, “Wonder”. However, this book certain fits into the overall realism of the series (in other words, don't expect Webmind to sport wings and fly around Pluto or anything like that).

One of the things that I found most interesting about the whole series (and this is just as true of the last one) is the way Caitlin saw the world after having been blind for all of her life. The way she describes things that we take for granted, such as; learning facial recognition; the shades of colors, the list just goes on and on. (Oh yeah, the first time she saw mustard...was that this one or the second book?) This is an element in the book that was well thought out and added to the sense of wonder that the title claims.

Sawyer certainly adds depth to his story. He gives you something to think about and I look for that in my fiction. Don't get me wrong, I like to be entertained and enjoy the book, but I also appreciate an author that allows the characters to deal with the deeper issues of life. If you haven't figured out by the first two novels Sawyer is politically liberal and atheist. That's just an observation, not a criticism. Overall I thought he did a great job presenting his views. Where he lost me on this third book was being so one sided. This is the reason I dropped my rating to a three (I gave the first two books a four). So if this kind of thing doesn't bother you stick with the four. In my opinion he had not really pushed his views in the first two books, but now that he has you in the last book of the series he just lays in on a little too thick. An example of what I'm talking about is seen in the one Christian character that he has in the book. This character is really not a Christian that any atheist would disagree with so you really haven't created a character that offers any opposition to the main philosophy of the book. (Feels kind of like cheating to me...easy to defeat a straw man). Now there is one notable exception to this (when Mrs/Dr. Decter mom and Web mind are having a discussion about human rights and Web mind leads the conversation into abortion).

I liked the overall optimistic feel of the book, I found this very refreshing. The ending certainly stretched the imagination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WWW.