Zach's Reviews > The Children of the Sky

The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge

Feb 09, 15

Read from January 17 to February 02, 2015

This is my least favorite Vernor Vinge novel. It begins strong with a couple interesting premises -- group minds, and children from a post-singularity tech society awakening on a medieval pre-tech world -- but before long devolves into tedious politics and protracted travel passages. In my humble opinion, it's always a bad sign when a science fiction or fantasy author devotes a lot of pages to getting his characters from one place to another, and there's a lot of that happening here. It's really too bad, because I really enjoyed large passages of the novel. It just kept getting mired down in stilted, often awkward social dynamics and too-long episodes of adventure. I mean, seriously: there's a whole section where the protagonists pretend to be a traveling circus. That's a sure sign that something has gone seriously off the rails.

I could forgive all of the above and just enjoy the good parts for what they are, but for the fact that the overall plot, the one begun in A Fire Upon the Deep -- the one that is galactic in scope -- doesn't move anywhere noticeable in the entire book. This is less a sequel to the first novel than a loosely arcing set of short stories about the characters in that book.

And really, if I'm being honest, I could still forgive all that if A Deepness in the Sky hadn't been so incredible, making this book such a monumental let-down in comparison. That's not really this book's fault, but I can't help feeling that way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of the Sky.

01/17 marked as: currently-reading