Wendy Darling's Reviews > In the After

In the After by Demitria Lunetta

I liked the first half of this book so much--it was pretty much a survivalist I Am Legend type story, with zombie-like aliens as the creatures in a post-apocalyptic setting. I also liked the choice to make the creatures day-dwellers, instead of the usual nocturnal animals.

Once Amy and Baby are taken to the compound, however, the array of unmemorable secondary characters, somewhat limp romance, and over-prolonged mystery (there's a twist that's fairly easy to guess) weren't nearly as engaging as they could have been. As a result, the somewhat underdeveloped world-building became more apparent--and unfortunately for the book, the lab/testing/experimentation scenes will feel very familiar to anyone who has read a lot of YA science fiction.

Still, the twist is interesting, and I liked some of the descriptive action scenes and the beginning of the book enough to try another book by this author. I don't know if it will be the inevitable sequel to this one, though.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the After.

03/19/2013 page 148
37.0% "Whoa, I did not see that coming."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve After reading the synopsis, it seems to me that this book would have a few good surprises :P
Is this book good so far?

Wendy Darling It's excellent so far, Lottie. I sped through 200 pages last night before I knew what had happened!

message 3: by Lottie (new)

Lottie Eve I'm glad to hear the first part was so amazing. It seems that the second part is what I need to prepare myself for.
Great review, Wendy! ☆_☆

Kristen This is very near my TBR pile--bummed you were not blown away with the second half.

Kristen Haha, 'near the top' of my TBR pile...

message 6: by Fry (new) - rated it 2 stars

Fry It's unfortunate that it lost its momentum. I was eagerly awaiting this release until I read that.

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Gah. Sounds like this one would've been a disappointment for me. AND it's a planned series?? *sigh*

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Are there zombies at least??

Wendy Darling Yeah, after the first 200 pages, it lagged for me, everybody. It did pick up again at the end, but by that point I'd lost a lot of my enthusiasm. I think the beginning worked because it was a more intimate type of survival story, but changing the background and adding all these characters made the lack of complexity more apparent.

Yep, it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger (nothing that's going to make anyone bite nails, though) so there's definitely a second book, though I don't see it listed on GoodReads yet.

Bonnie, I think you'd feel about this one the way we both felt about This is Not a Test. We both have read too many post-apocalyptic books that are more dynamic. And as for zombies, yes, the aliens eat people. But there's not quite enough of that, IMO. I can spoil a bit more if you want.

message 10: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Gah. That's too bad. Yeah, I do believe I've lost interest. Spoil away. :D

Wendy Darling Hah, okay. So the aliens are pretty cool in the beginning, and there are some good cornering-the-girl scenes. They eat people, so they're zombie-like aliens, not exactly the zombies I was told they were. (view spoiler) An interesting development, but not written in a way that really captivated me. And it's too easy to guess, so Amy's failure to ask questions about clues that had been there all along is sort of frustrating.

message 12: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Wait, aliens? Strange. And it sounds like it leans more towards sci-fi than dystopian. World-building is so vital in those genres... bummer. I had high hopes for this one.

Wendy Darling Well, yes. (view spoiler)

It's not dystopian at all. And I don't mind worldbuilding that isn't necessarily as complex, as long as other things are done well, but...it sort of lost steam with the other things, too.

There are a lot of lab/testing type scenes, too, and too man other books do them better.

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Ahh... WELL. I feel safe in skipping it.

Wendy Darling I think other people will like it. But yes, I think you'd feel middling about this one at best.

message 16: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I trust you enough by now. ;)

Wendy Darling Hah. :)

message 18: by Kay (new) - added it

Kay Zombie-like aliens. Sign me up.

:) I'll give it a go anyway.

Wendy Darling Sure thing, Kay--this one's gotten pretty high markings so far. Except for mine, hah.

Brett Sweet Asian Babies everywhere! I want to read this so very mucho badly! However, I was spoiled when I read a comment that mentioned a rather big spoiler in the book......AGAS!

Brett Oh! I speller Agahst wrong... wao. -_-

Faye, la Patata Ooooohhhhh! I'm really looking forward to this book. Your review tells me it's not perfect but a good read nonetheless.

message 23: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth  (Curling Up With A Good Book) I totally agree with you...I wish they would never have even went to the compound. I loved the entire first half but it just kinda fell short after that.

Juhina I'm currently reading it and agree with you about liking the first have way more than the second.

Kevin You hit it right on the head here, Wendy. I so agree that the first half held all the merits to this one. I honestly wish it kept up with that tension and unease the rest of the way through.

Faye, la Patata Agree with you all the way... I loved Part 1, the survivalist part of it. When they got to New Hope... sigh... not loving it as much now :/

message 27: by Desiree (new) - added it

Desiree I just finished reading this and really limed it, but I totally agree with you about the first half being better than the second. The big twist also seemed too unbelievable for me. Overall I enjoyed it though. Great review as always Wendy!