Jocelyn Green's Reviews > A Passion Denied

A Passion Denied by Julie Lessman

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: christian-fiction
Read in December, 2011

Set back in Boston, we get glimpses of characters we met in the first two books: Faith and Collin, Faith and Charity, and the girls' parents, Marcy and Patrick. By now, all of these characters are old friends, and we know a lot about their histories. I love that we see the ups and downs of married life in this novel, through the subplots of these three other couples. It's a great reminder that life is not always happily ever after once the wedding is over- love takes a little work! But it's still worth it, and there is still passion.
Ironically, the protagonist, Lizzie, is accused of imagining that real love should look like the love she has read about in romance novels. But usually, it's far more complicated than what we read about, and requires ample doses of forgiveness, patience, and understanding. An interesting truth for a romance novel to proclaim! :)
If you're feeling breathless after A Passion Redeemed, you'll find this story a little tamer, but still enjoyable, intriguing, and suspenseful.
I was amused to see Lizzie getting love life advice from Charity and Faith, two sisters whose approach to love couldn't be more opposite.
There are enough secrets and twists to keep you guessing until the end. You might think you know how the last page will read, but there's no way you could imagine the winding road that gets you there.
We meet new characters here, including a scrawny orphan who ends up being one of the main characters in a later book Lessman writes, A Hope Undaunted. I loved getting to know this guy as a child in this book!
As with the other two books in the series, faith is an integral part to how these characters make their decisions. They struggle with their pasts, their own choices and consequences, and each one finds himself/herself at a crossroads where they can choose life or death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Passion Denied.