Wendy Darling's Reviews > Starters

Starters by Lissa Price

Dec 17, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-publication, dystopian-post-apocalyptic-utopian, young-adult, read-2012, action-packed, inexplicably-violent, sci-fi-or-futuristic, march, rh
Read from January 16 to 19, 2012

This was pretty entertaining, if a bit sketchy on some of the details. Still, there's a very interesting twist at the end that I didn't see coming! And I will definitely be reading the sequel. Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starters.

01/16/2012 page 1
0.0% "This Editor's Note is actually really nice, but I had to laugh at "(What would it be like) to live in a world where people would want to kill you over a cookie?" Because really, I've wanted to kill plenty of people over cookies." 16 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL I feel you, Wendy. I would fight till the death over cookies ;)

Wendy Darling What normal person wouldn't?? ;)

Molly Talbert I have been really excited about this book! Can't wait to see what you think!

Wendy Darling It's very entertaining so far! The original tag line on the cover was really cool, though they probably changed it because it's a bit of a spoiler.

Amanda Pearl I LOVE that crazy cover! I really want to read this. It's on netgalley right now, maybe I'll be approved :)

Wendy Darling Good luck, Amanda. :) I'm about 20% in and enjoying it; fingers crossed it stays good.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Witte Ha! So true. Last night online I saw a photo of a big beautiful bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough. I wanted to dive through my computer screen to get to it.

message 8: by Nafiza (new)

Nafiza I'll be looking forward to your review. I'm not sure if I can do another dystopian (honestly, there are way too many of them around).

Gina I'm looking forward to your review on this too, it looks so interesting. Did you watch the preview video it has up? Very creepy.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna lol I know what you mean! I just read a local news article about a 5 year old boy who stabbed 3 people because of "a dispute over a juice box" Imagine what HE would have done for a cookie! I'm going to be reading this one soon too, I hope its a good one!

Wendy Darling I'm enjoying this; it's not terribly complicated so far, but I don't always need it to be, you know? I will have to look for the video, Gina, thanks!

Juice box, pfft. Those aren't worth fighting over. ;) Cookies, on the other hand...

You got PUNCHED over a cookie, Skyla? I hope you took that guy down. (view spoiler)

Wendy Darling EXCELLENT. *channeling Montgomery Burns*

Wow, I would not stand for lunch-stealing. No one gets between me and my sandwich.

message 13: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 If they eat my lunch, I will eat them. Grrr...

On-topic: Three stars! This book must be good then. =O

Wendy Darling I enjoyed it! You have to suspend your disbelief quite a bit, and I wish some things were more fully explored, but overall it's a quick, fun read.

message 15: by Lyndz (new)

Lyndz This one looks interesting, I will look for your review.

message 16: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Sounds like an all right concept.

Wendy Darling I'll have a review up soon, I hope, Lyndz. Although I'm really behind as it is, hah.

The concept is really cool, Lindsey, and if you can accept some of the more implausible stuff it's pretty fun.

I liked the twist a lot, Elena, even if it is a little bit creepy. hah.

message 18: by Lyndz (new)

Lyndz I know that feeling!

message 19: by Lenore (new) - added it

Lenore Appelhans The twist at the end is WAY creepy ...

Wendy Darling III know! As soon as it happened, it made me want to go back and skim through the book again. But then the author handily does a quick recap for you with that new information in mind, which I thought was very clever.

message 21: by Lenore (new) - added it

Lenore Appelhans Yes - looking forward to seeing what she does with it in the next book. Definitely made me see a lot of scenes in a new (squicky) light ...

Wendy Darling Hee hee, "squicky." :P

Sharon The old man was a creepy s.o.b.

Wendy Darling He sure was, Sharon.

Truly Bookish I was a bit leery of this one so it's good to see that you liked it. I may have to check it out...

Wendy Darling It has a strong beginning, a middling middle, but then saves it with a strong end, TB. I think it's worth reading, and I'd like to see what else the author has up her sleeve for future.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead your... "sketchy on some of the details" scares me. I'm going to read it regardless but I keep hearing your words in the back of my head (you didn't know your voice lives in the back of my head did you..hehe).

Wendy Darling Yeah, I didn't check this until now but I KNEW this wasn't a Michelle book. ;)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I've tried 4 times to write a review for this book. Each time, I sound like such a bitch!!! I don't know why but this book's review is haunting me! LOL

Wendy Darling I have a bazillion reviews to write, Michelle. For me, the three star ones are always the hardest. Not that much to praise, not that much to criticize. You should be having an easier time than I am!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "I have a bazillion reviews to write, Michelle. For me, the three star ones are always the hardest. Not that much to praise, not that much to criticize. You should be having an easier time than I am!"

Only a bazillion? You should be done by morning! hehe.
I'm 8 reviews behind, that's 8 too many for me!

Wendy Darling Eight? EIGHT? If you are trying to make me feel bad worse, you are succeeding. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "Eight? EIGHT? If you are trying to make me feel bad worse, you are succeeding. :D"

ahhhh... that's just because you put so much into your reviews! Plus, I've not been reading alot lately. I'm only averaging 3 to 4 books a week. Did I make you feel better now??? :)

Wendy Darling We are a miserable pair, because I haven't been reading as much either! My GoodReads widget mocks me every time I'm on here. :) I'm hoping I get some time to get some serious reviewing time in over the next couple of weeks. Look forward to comparing/CONTRASTING our reviews on this, hah.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "We are a miserable pair, because I haven't been reading as much either! My GoodReads widget mocks me every time I'm on here. :) I'm hoping I get some time to get some serious reviewing time in over..."

It's a sad day when life interferes with reading/reviewing for the both of us! Darn real life. Darn it! We'll I know whenever your reviews come, they'll be good!

usagi ☆ミ I was ping-ponging back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars, but decided on 4 for the sheer EW OLD PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER MY BODY factor.

Wendy Darling Hah hah, I enjoyed that too, Witch. (heh, I called you Witch!) I had a 3.5 at first, but then I started thinking about the sketchiness of some of middle bits...I'm still undecided, I guess, which is why I still haven't written this review yet. Look forward to checking your review out when I get off my butt and actually write mine!

I loved the twist at the end.

usagi ☆ミ There were a lot of sketchy bits with the worldbuilding/backstory, yeah. Which is why I was having trouble deciding and finally said "Fuck it, it had creepy old people, I'll give it a 4."

Wendy Darling Yeah, the entertainment factor can tip a rating higher for me, too. It's funny how this hit on how a creepy old people just preys on a youthful person's worst fears. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "Hah hah, I enjoyed that too, Witch. (heh, I called you Witch!) I had a 3.5 at first, but then I started thinking about the sketchiness of some of middle bits...I'm still undecided, I guess, which i..."

If you keep thinking about it, your rating might go down further and then you'll end up like me (frightening thought.. don't let it happen dear!). Oh and be wary of those middle bits, they get stuck in your teeth.

Giselle I'm just curious what you find sketchy in the middle bit (vs the start) (Not being bitchy just really curious). I just finished it and really liked it. I wish we had more background info on the reason the war happened in the first place though. But it was pretty entertaining. It reminded me a bit of the Host too. And I was thinking the old man may have been (view spoiler) Very curious on book 2.

message 42: by Lynn ಠ_ಠ (new) - added it

Lynn ಠ_ಠ I came here after watching the trailer. Awesome! O.O

message 43: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny Is this a barely-three-stars or a three-stars or a almost-four-stars-(but-not-quite)? I need to know because it totally makes a difference as to whether or not I'll give it a chance.

Wendy Darling Penny, I liked a twist at the end enough that I might designate a 3.5 rating, but I don't think I'd tip it up in terms of stars. I'm still getting to know your taste, but to be honest, I'm not sure you'd like this one. I liked the story overall, but it's filled with many, many plot hole and rather illogical behaviors. I totally get why a lot of readers have had problems with this, even though I enjoyed other parts enough to look the other way.

I saw the trailer, Lynn, it's pretty cool!

Giselle, I actually think a lot of the book is very sketchy in terms of trying to provide explanations for things. Not just the war, but the vaccinations, the rentals, her relationships with both the new "friends" and Blake, etc, etc. Thinking about trying to go back through book and explain all that is really what's delaying my review, hah; this may end up being a mini review. Your theory is an interesting one, though!

message 45: by Rory (new)

Rory Gallagher Just got this yesterday (as well as "Partials" by Dan Wells which I'm excited about) , I hope I'll like it. Oh, Wendy, WHY haven't you read the "Gone" series by Michael Grant?? That's quite unforgivable.

Wendy Darling I hope you'll enjoy this too, Rory! And I bought GONE a year ago but just haven't gotten around to it yet, I'm afraid. *hangs head* It's all these other pesky books on my nightstand.

message 47: by Rory (new)

Rory Gallagher Well, for the sake of all decent YA books, read it! It's a fantastic series. Oh, and I'm so glad I got "Partials", I'm loving it so far. :)

Wendy Darling I will! I hear good things about it. And yay, I'm glad you're enjoying Partials. Some readers seem to have trouble with it and call it "boring" but I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case for you!