Lauren Suero's Reviews > The Selection

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Dec 04, 2013

Read from December 28 to 29, 2011

Here's how this book should be marketed: Dystopian world meets 'The Bachelor'.....sort of.

NOT THE HUNGER GAMES. There's no fight to the death here.. just a bunch of young women vying for the heart of one very handsome prince.

Personally, I've been excited to read this book from day one of it's announcement. Say what you will about the cover, but holy heck is it gorgeous. If I wasn't so damn short, I'd totally rock that dress. The chance to become a princess? BESTILL MY 5 YEAR OLD HEART!

I loved the whole premise of the book. It was simple, clean and just an over all great book. America, the female lead, is strong but has her faults, as she tends to be a bit whiny. No character is ever perfect, which I am sure we will see further development of all 'The Selection' characters as the series progresses.

The CW has put together a pilot for 'The Selection' and I can't wait to see how they will translate this from book onto our TV screens. Ethan Peck as Prince Maxon... OH YES.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.

12/28 page 7
2.0% "Excuse me while I get my Fairytale on."
12/28 page 70
21.0% "Oh god, ASPEN!"
12/29 page 255
76.0% "SIGHHHHH"
12/29 page 336
100.0% "Will 2012 be the Year of the Cliffhanger?!?"
01/29 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Aparajitabasu i think you r totally right about not using hunger games as a tag....

Maxine oh really? there going to make it into a show???

Aparajitabasu Maxine wrote: "oh really? there going to make it into a show???"

yup on CW, they have Aimee Teagarden for America, William Mosely for Aspen, Ethan Peck for Prince Maxon..and many more

Lauren Suero it's like they did with twilight. basically anything that involved vampires was marked as the next twilight. 'the selection' is NOT the hunger games..rather they are both in the dystopian realm. :)

Crystal I think the similarity to the Hunger Games was the futuristic America, with the huge class disparity between the castes. That was it. and I have never watched the Bachelor, but this made me think a lot of the book of Esther in the Bible. which is also a pretty cool story. :)

Brin  McKay Best Distoypia Book ever!

message 18: by Zina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zina OMG OMG OMG NO WAY!!!!! Can't freakin wait till the show comes out. Honestly the first thought in my head once you get deep into this book is that it fits PERFECTLY on screen *happy dances around room*

Anyone else hate aspen? Some reason I couldn't stand him especially in the end.

message 17: by Lulu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lulu do you think. it'll be shown in England???

Alexandra  Harris Its not like mean girls is it. I hate books like that?

Lauren Suero Nope. Not like Mean Girls.

Alexandra  Harris Ok, maybe I will have to give it a try then! Thanks

Cristina good, someone else thinks it's like The Bachelor

message 12: by Alia (new) - added it

Alia LOVE THE BOOK... nothing like the hunger games though :)

message 11: by Kage (new) - rated it 1 star

Kage its "like the hunger games" but no fight to the death? awww :(

Wendi The book is a blatant rip off of The Hunger Games. Here look at this lovely chart and tell me how the book isn't The Hunger Games stupified.

Maleny Yes! I totally agree!

Steph This is so much better than the bachelor though, and I'm SOOOO glad this has turned out to be 100000000 times better than the bachelor!! But America really needs to get over aspen. Like seriously...

message 7: by Vic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vic I totally agree. When are they gonna make a movie of this one? They need to!

message 6: by Dmitry (new)

Dmitry sniffing

Ella its like the hunger games because they're both dystopian novels

Ella and i so want a show to come out........

message 3: by Seema (new) - added it

Seema oh my God so true. I kept thinking I was reading an episode of the Batchelor the whole time.

The selection is nothing like the hunger games, tbh I did not enjoy the hunger games one but but this.....
This is the best book I have ever read EVER!
I'm totally excited for the movie but I don't want to have high expectations. I want it to be just like the vision in my head.
And Greg sulk in as prince Maxon and Bella Thorne as America... Hell ya!

Skyler Heights Lamya:
I wouldn't say Bella Thorne as America since she doesn't have the right personality and aura, but Greg sulkin as Maxon- DEFINITELY. unfortunately the cast currently is very disappointing