Danielle's Reviews > A Life in Stitches: Knitting My Way through Love, Loss, and Laughter

A Life in Stitches by Rachael Herron

Dec 17, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-read, crafting, non-fiction
Read on December 25, 2011

Bonus points to the author for citing one of my favorite works, The Yellow Wall-Paper. What I don't understand is the obsession with hot water bottles (I'd never seen one until recently, and don't get all the knitting patterns for them). I also don't understand why she tried to make knitting seem so incredibly difficult; she just didn't understand the Cat Bordhi moebius cast-on! She just can't get kitchener! Zomg this craft is HARD! Bah. I'm no knitting wizard, but I can recognize when someone is making something sound incredibly difficult even when it isn't.

Overall this book is cute, funny and touching. Collection of short essays about how knitting (and other crafts, to a lesser degree) can help you cope, help you stay organized and motivated, and how looking at a piece of knitting can bring you back to all the thoughts/feelings you had while making it. It IS possible to stitch love into a garment. But I was incredibly tired of hearing how much love was stitched into everything by the time I was done with this book.

Don't read this one in public - it's a real tear-jerker. Author apparently needed a way to cope with her mother's death, and this book was it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Life in Stitches.