AJ's Reviews > Love in the Driest Season: A Family Memoir

U 50x66
Dec 17, 2011

bookshelves: bio-memoir, adoption, zimbabwe
Read in November, 2013

What a great book! I devoured this one in about 2.5 days. It was easy to read and well written, and had a great story.

It's mostly about the adoption that the author and his wife undertook in Zimbabwe. But it also includes a lot of stuff about the author's upbringing (which I appreciated) and a lot of stuff on the journalist assignments he had across Africa, and some background into those issues (which I didn't find useful, and could have largely been left out), and a treatise of sorts on the social impact of HIV/AIDS (which was important to the story). So, because of all the different components that were included in the book, it did at times feel like it didn't know what it wanted to be - a story of adoption, a memoir of living and working in Africa, a life story, etc. But where it succeeded most was in relaying the heartbreaking (and ultimately triumphant) story of he and his wife adopting from one of the most forbidding social services in the world.

They moved to Zimbabwe, started fostering, and wanted to adopt at basically the worst possible time - the late 1990s - when Zimbabwe was absolutely falling apart in every way possible. Not to mention the ability for foreigners to adopt Zimbabwean children is next to impossible at any time, but throw in a volatile government that was becoming increasingly hostile to foreigners in general - the book sometimes reads like a thriller!

In the future, when I'm feeling frustrated about our journey through foster care and trying to find a viable way to adopt, I will think about the absolute torturous things this family had to go through to make it through the other side and I will try to calm down and realize things take time. Though that is hard to do.

This is a great book, and I definitely recommend it on many levels!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Driest Season.

11/06/2013 marked as: read