Shamekia's Reviews > The Garbage King

The Garbage King by Elizabeth Laird

F 50x66
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: children-s

I'm glad this book found me! I'm currently living in Ethiopia and am hard pressed for anything to read, good, bad...whatever! Another U.S. volunteer gave me her copy of this book. Living here definitely helped me visualize the scenery so much better than if I were reading this at home.

I feel the crux of this story was the friendship between Mamo and Dani. The author did a good job of telling their separate stories and intertwining them, although I did find it hard to believe that a boy in Dani's position would actually run away from home.

My main issue with the story was Dani's father. The book wasn't long enough to fully flesh out his character and the attempts at making him seem like a flawed human being felt half-hearted. I just wound up hating him without understanding him. It was also weird to have an adult perspective in the novel, juxtaposed against Dani, Mamo,and Tiggist's chapters.

Ultimately, I thought that this book was charming, engaging, and respectful of the people whose lives this book was based on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garbage King.