Kitten's Reviews > Significance

Jul 23, 15

bookshelves: reviewed, favorites, nook-kindle
Read from December 18 to 19, 2011

Review originally posted at Doodle's Book Blog

I originally read Significance in December 2011 and fell in love with the story line. Shelly Crane provides the reader with a new, unique take on the paranormal world that has me wanting more.

Let's start with the main characters. Maggie isn't your average seventeen year old girl. She graduated high school early after the worst year of her life; her mother left and her dad has abandoned all responsibility since. She is smart, caring, responsible, and a little naive. It's only by chance that she meets Caleb at a stoplight where he almost gets killed. Caleb is gorgeous, charming, and sweet. He is one of only two guys Maggie has ever been attracted to and no longer does she want to go on her date with his cousin Kyle, especially after the sparks.

I think this is one of only a few books where the insta-love concept works. Caleb is a supernatural being called an Ace. Being an Ace means that there is only one person out there for him, his soul mate. When Caleb and Maggie finally touch, sparks fly. They are the perfect match for each other. A number of young adult books I've read these days try to carry out this concept and I almost always find a flaw in each of the relationships. With Significance, we learn early on that there is a reason for them being head over heels for each other so quickly, it is expected.

The thing I like most about this book is that it is original. I've never read a paranormal book that has this idea of soul mates. Granted Twilight has imprints, but this is nothing like the idea behind Stephenie Meyer's werewolves. It is more like a recognition of the other person. I also like that Maggie isn't whiny. She doesn't sulk over her mom leaving, shes mad at her mom, but not whining about it. She made the best of her situation.

I really enjoyed this book and I don't have much bad to say about it. There are times when Maggie is just explaining things that gets a little old, but it isn't overwhelming to the point it is an annoying quality to the book.

Overall, this is a great addition to any paranormal lovers library. I look forward to reading and reviewing Accordance and Defiance.
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Significance.

Quotes Kitten Liked

Shelly Crane
“You don’t love people for what they can give you. You don’t love them because of what they do for you or how good you make them look. Love is blind, love does not boast, love is not vain.”

Shelly Crane
“Gran, I'm only gonna ask this once. Please don't have sex talks with me, ok? Especially with Maggie in the room. Do you think we could do that?”

Shelly Crane
“His eyes opened and he smiled at me like he understood everything, like I was everything.”

Shelly Crane
“It's my job as best friend to make sure he's not a serial killer. Or an English major, not sure which one's worse.”

12/18/2011 page 57
10.0% "I forgot how much I love this book....*swoon*"
show 4 hidden updates…