Dan's Reviews > Magician's Gambit

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Dec 19, 11

Read from December 17 to 19, 2011

The Belgariad has been beloved by me since I was a kid, but having read many more books of as many genres and authors since then, I've realized that Mr. Eddings authorship leaves much to be desired. I still love the story, characters, mythology, and magic, but there are a number of glaring problems. Mr. Eddings omits tactical and practical details. If it really takes Garion and friends weeks and months to travel around, then why don't Polgara and Belgarath use the time to teach Garion about sorcery? Why don't Barak and Mandorallen teach Garion and Durnik how to fight? Why is all this time being senselessly wasted? Garion should be going through some serious character development and education, but he's still just a dull and ignorant boy. For that matter, when do they re-supply? How do they feed their horses as they travel through the desert? Questions and problems like these have really been bothering me in this read through. Also, if their task is so urgent, why does it take them so long to get from place to place. Seems to me that Mr. Eddings could have sped things up by shortening distances and reducing interminable treks through mountains and wastelands and making a shooter, but faster paced book. Anyway, despite all these problems, The Belgariad remains one of my all time favorite series. I just wish someone more skilled would re-record a better audio version of the books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician's Gambit.