Tammara's Reviews > Providence

Providence by Jamie McGuire

Dec 30, 11

Read from December 21 to 27, 2011

I knew going in that the pace and content would be different from one of my favorite books of the year - Beautiful Disaster - plus, this is Jamie McGuire's foray into paranormal. Be prepared on these scores before starting this one.

Nina has lost her father, a man she adored and idolized. Not long after his death, she discovers that she's been sheltered her entire life from dealings he had with heaven and hell. Scary life-and-death dealings. Now, the things that have been kept from her have put her in grave danger, and nothing stands between her and that evil but Jared, her guardian. (Well. Jared and Claire, his bitchy, kickass little sister.)

I loved the world-building Ms. McGuire does in Providence, and I adored Jared. He's tough and somewhat arrogant, but he is amazingly single-minded and heart-on-his-sleeve when it comes to loyalty and protecting those he loves. Nina actually reminded me of Abby (BD). She's unsure, she charges off with purpose, only to stop short and change directions. Jared, however, has the kind of stability to withstant this kind of behavior. Where other men might stomp off in frustration, he gives Nina room to figure out what she needs and come to her own conclusions.

I'm anxious to get started on the second installment - Requiem. Though I'm ready to dive back into Nina and Jared's story, I also have high hopes for tough-as-nails Claire, who I strangely and utterly fell in love with, and Ryan, Nina's intended destiny. Yeah. That's what Jared is up against. It takes quite a man to decide that destiny be damned (literally?), because love trumps everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Providence.