Whatchyareading's Reviews > Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: leiah, paranormal, series, young-adult
Read in November, 2011

I’ve become a cover lover. I blame Caitlin entirely. Before becoming a cover lover, I’d say I flirted heavily with synopses. I wanted to know some specific details about the book before I forked money over for it. Anna Dressed in Blood was my first, “I don’t care what it is about, do you see that cover?! Here, have all my dollars” purchase. From the spooky house, to the wind-whipped black hair and beautiful vintage white dress of who we assume Anna, it just screams, “BUY ME!” The title doesn’t hurt either. Anna Dressed in Blood. Anna. Dressed. In. Blood. Talk about evocative!

Even before cracking the cover, I was in heavy like with this book. Falling back on my previous habit of going by a book’s synopsis moved me into “marry me” land.

Game on, right? I read the book. It was amazing. Cas is such a compelling protagonist. He’s cocky about his ghost-killing skill, rightfully so, but his arrogance and circumstances set him apart from others making him a loner you really want to get to know. Mix in some tortured grief over his father’s death and some hell-bent on revenge and you’ve got a powder keg of powerful boy to have a literary crush on.

When Cas takes what he assumes will be another easy gig of dispatching a pesky specter, he and his mom move up to Thunder Bay, a fantastic setting for a ghost story. Ms. Blake’s descriptions of the town and surrounding landscape add to the creepy factor of this story tenfold. Setting is key for a good scary book and Blake provides this without making it cliché.

The story is also filled with cast of supporting characters that are interesting enough in their own right, but also end up serving the plot well. And then there is Anna. Anna, Anna, Anna. Anna is bad-ass, you guys. Her back-story will have your jaw hitting the floor, her current situation will have you gasping and rereading paragraphs to make sure you did in fact read what you thought you did. If you love horror fiction, there is a scene…seriously, you will just not even believe it.

From the opening scene your heart will be pounding, it won’t stop until you get to the end, and then you will want the next book immediately. This is a first-rate horror novel mixed with a first-rate romance, one that is unique and had me swooning. Nothing about the plot felt superfluous or over-worked. Each character felt genuine and vital to the story, no matter how small of a role they played. Ms. Blake’s YA debut was one of my five must-reads for fall on will go on my best of 2011 list. Give this book a read, if you’ve got the guts.

Reviewed at WhatchYAreading on November 1, 2011.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna Dressed in Blood.