Troy's Reviews > Sharp Objects

M 50x66
Jun 28, 07

Recommended for: anyone
Read in September, 2006

Terrific book, truly creepy. A page turner about a journalist going back to her tiny Missouri home town to cover the recent murders of two little girls. Gillian Flynn's writing in Entertainment Weekly has always been a notch above, and her first novel is no disappointment.

What's remarkable about this book is that it focuses on some of the most damaged and interesting women I've ever seen in fiction. Strong women in fiction usually means one of three things:

1) Ass-kickers in fantastic outfits that talk, think and fight like men (think Tarantino)

2) Delicate little homebodies with surprising reserves of strength when needed (think Jane Austen)

3) Raging bitches (think Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada)

What's great about the women here is that they don't really fit into any of the above categories. They're conniving, manipulative, sweet, deeply insecure, fierce and hopelessly crippled people whose flailing at one another feels very real and very scary. Great book.
77 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp Objects.

Nicole This book was utterly disturbing! I read it when it first came out it was creepy. Then a few months ago I seen it on my bookshelf and decided to read it again. It had the same effect as the first time I read it. It's a great book!

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura I wasn't entirely sure about this book until I read your review. Not sure if it was just the disaster tourist in me that wanted to read about someone else's horrible life, but you've made the book come alive and really intrigued me. If the women in this story don't fit into categories 1-3....the world had better watch out. Definitely putting this on my eager-to-read list!

Margot Oh! I agree with you, Love your 3 descriptions...hahaha Raging bitches...that's the best.
What struck me the most was how twisted ALL the females in this book are. The cruelty and aggression make you shudder. Usually the poor men are made the evil doers. Perhaps because they are more open about it. In this book, feminine evil is exposed on all levels (and ages) in every single female character!!