Casey Allan's Reviews > The Devil Wears Prada

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

Dec 31, 11

Read from December 24 to 31, 2011

Two stars actually seems generous for this book. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it, because I certainly didn't avoid it like I have done in the past with unbearable novels. The satisfaction of "The Devil Wears Prada" is similar to the satisfaction one feels upon catching up with celebrity gossip in a trashy magazine. You enjoy doing it but deep down the guilt begins seeping through because at the end of the day you know you're wasting your damn time.
I found the story entertaining, but the writing style and choice of vocabulary exhausting and repetitive. For a book that sets you up with a very clear, linear timeline, I found it to lack reference to which point in her "twelve months of servitude" (an overused line) certain chapters were taking place. At the end of the day I think it would have been a more palatable read if there was more reference to how much certain items cost, rather than just the brand names. I'm not a fashion guru. You can't expect me to be godsmacked at a reference to "Chanel Boots" without describing the appearance and price tag that comes with it.

My main gripe with this book is that I adored the movie. And whilst the book was more in-depth as far as Andrea's family, friends and relationship goes, the movie pulled off the entire story in a far less frustrating and more entertaining way. Perhaps this is simply because you can't cram detailed descriptions of one thousand different couture items into a mere 360 pages.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil Wears Prada.