Donalyn's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: ya-realistic-fiction, 2012-nerdy-book-club-shortlist
Read in January, 2012

I probably shouldn't have read another book about two boys and a girl with cancer so soon after reading John Green's masterpiece, The Fault in Our Stars. I never connected with Greg, Earl, or Rachel and I found the intrusive narrator ( who continually tells readers how awful this book is) annoying and overworked. I can see from their reviews that many readers I admire loved this book, but I didn't get it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth I've been skeptical to read this book too given the similarity in subject matter to TFIOS. My mature readers who read the book even mentioned they thought the book had too many obscenities in it, but that just could be that they're just starting to read YA lit and aren't used to the liberties YA authors can take with that sort of thing over middle grade writers. I'll still read it, but I think it will have to wait a few months so I can leave some space between it and TFIOS.

Donalyn This book has way more profanity that the typical YA book, Beth. That didn't bother me as much as the story and the unsympathetic protagonist.