George's Reviews > The Sisters Brothers

Jun 30, 15

Read in June, 2015

DISAPPOINTING.

“…but another time is another time and thus irrelevant”—page 83

My bad, most likely, but I simply could not connect with either the characters or the stories of Patrick deWitt’s THE SISTERS BROTHERS: A Novel. Existential angst and laconic humor notwithstanding, the best reaction I could muster was a moderately exuberant, ”so what?”

I do love the cover art, though.

Recommendation: Best to ignore this review, and the 6% (3343) of goodreaders who gave this novel only one or two two stars. Better to pay attention to the 94% (40,903)—who probably read most of it while they were awake and comprehending—who rated it three stars or better.

“And would you explain to me, please, just what in the world you are talking about?”—page 317

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sisters Brothers.

06/30 marked as: read

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Brady Love the cover art, too, George. I'll trust your instincts for the rest as well. Too many books, too little time.

George Nancy, this one is definitelya 'can take it or leave it' read. My current read—Daughters of the Samurai: A Journey from East to west and Back, by Janice P. Nimura—though, is a must read. I'm 33% into, it and it is remarkable. Imagine: the first Japanese woman ever to receive a college degree...and from Vassar (class of 1882), no less. Almost unimaginable.

Elyse Maybe it wasn't enough of a 'dude' book....for ya!
(kidding) Your review is FINE!!

I liked it! It had heart. It was also a very different type of read for me!

George Elyse, I'm one of those old fashioned folks who expect the good guys in westerns to always wear white hats and the bad guys to wear black, so I can tell them apart.

Elyse I get it. And me... I don't even like westerns

Laughing. You're funny!
Good laughs!
Out to the pool now for foot therapy! :)