Vasiliki Charalampopoulou's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from January 05 to 20, 2012

This book has been sitting on my TBR shelf for something over two years. Every time i would decide to start it, my attention would be turned to another book. I guess i finally decided it was about time i start reading it. Now i want to hit myself on the head for having waited this long.

I did have high expectations of this book becasue of all the great things i had heard but in the end it managed to surpass my expectations. It was touching in so many ways. I am especially affected by topics such as racism and injustice so you can imagine how deeply this book moved me. I find it so sad that there are still people today who are unable or unwilling to understand that we are all human, all people with a soul and a unique personality no matter the color of our skin.

This is a book i would definitely recommend to everyone! If i ever have children this will definitely be a book i will "make" them read. I really do believe one can evolve from reading this book.

Furthermore, i found the characters extremely likable and i enjoyed following them around and witnessing the ways in which they grew and matured. The characters are also very realistic and true to their era.

I also find the title of this book lovely. I love it!
Looking forward to seeing the film adaptation soon!

Sorry, i know this isn't a very good review, i am really tired and I've taken up a very demanding and intense course for this session witch leaves me very little free time to do the things i like. Hopefully, my next review will be much better.

Quotes Vasiliki Liked

Harper Lee
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)... There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.”

Harper Lee
“Pass the damn ham, please.”

Harper Lee
“Next morning I awoke, looked out the window and nearly died of fright. My screams brought Atticus from his bathroom half-shaven.
"The world's endin', Atticus! Please do something -!" I dragged him to the window and pointed.
"No it's not," he said. "It's snowing.”

01/15/2012 page 182