Stephanie Griffin's Reviews > Master and Commander

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

Jan 08, 12

Read from December 16, 2011 to January 08, 2012

MASTER AND COMMANDER, the first book in the Captain Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin series written by Patrick O’Brian, shows off O’Brian’s enormous knowledge of ships of the Napoleonic era. The series includes twenty titles.
Captain Aubrey is given the Sophie to hunt down and capture enemy (French and Spanish) ships in the Mediterranean and Balearic Seas along the eastern edges of France and Spain. He wins many battles and earns prizes in the form of monetary compensation when the British government “buys” the captured ships. His men for the most part admire his penchant for aggressively overtaking the enemy.
O'Brian does honor to the maritime descriptions - there are some really wonderful imageries.
It seems to me that a lot more could have been added to this. While we do see a bit into Maturin’s character, I thought we didn’t get to know Aubrey much at all. I also felt that the ending was too abrupt.
I like stories about life on old-fashioned sailing ships but I don’t think this one will be incentive enough to lead me to the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master and Commander.