Julia's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-new-to-me-author-a-z-challenge, dystopian, holocaust, historical-fiction, ya
Read in July, 2012

In 1941 fifteen year old Lina and her brother and mother are deported from ever more romote and harsh camps in Siberia from their native Lithuania. (Stalin deported a third of the populations in Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia, at the beginning of the war, we are told in the afterward.) They stayed there for twelve years and were forbidden from talking about it when they were released. Stalin didn’t do death camps, but lack of food, typhus, dysentery, cold without adequate clothing within the Arctic Circle and scurvy killed many, many people. Through it all, Lina’s mother kept her faith in the good of some people. Lina in her drawings and descriptions of where she’d lived and what she’d endured. Reading this very good book on very long plane flights seemed to keep the hardships of the latter in perspective. Relative to what Lina experienced, my flights were a walk in the park!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.