Julie Witt's Reviews > Something Witchy This Way Comes

Something Witchy This Way Comes by Veronica Blade

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

When I heard the title of this book, I just knew I had to read it! Then I saw the cover and read the description, and I was even more excited! Sometimes that's a bad thing, though - to go into a book with really high expectations can lead to a really big letdown if the book doesn't meet those expectations. I am very happy to report that that was not the case here - I really enjoyed it!

Tessa and Hayden go to high school together, but they hang out in totally separate groups. Tessa is the quiet but pretty brainiac, who is always smiling, and Hayden is the extremely good-looking troublemaker, who has a rep for loving and leaving the ladies. Imagine their surprise when one day when they show up for school they are both called into the principal's office. Apparently, Tessa is being stalked and perhaps threatened by a mysterious group, and the principal wants Hayden to be her bodyguard. In exchange, he will write Hayden a letter of recommendation for college and will expunge some of the worst offenses from his school file. Hayden's not too excited about it, but he finally agrees. The principal then has a private meeting with Tessa where he tells her that she is a witch, and a rival faction wants her to join their group, and chances are they will kill her if she doesn't agree. This sets off a chain of events where no one is who they seem to be, and it's up to Tessa and Hayden to figure out the mystery of who's who before her 18th birthday in about a month, when she will be expected to choose. Not only does she find out that she is a witch, but she's a very special witch with special gifts, and people will kill to have her on her side.

The mystery is a great part of the book, but an even better part is the relationship that develops between Tessa and Hayden. They are definitely attracted to one another, but Tessa was hurt by a boy earlier that year and Hayden suffers from major self-esteem issues, so they both fight their attraction. I will admit that I often just wanted to smack them both upside the head, but then I had to remind myself that I was a teen once, too!

This book is full of action and suspense and romance, and all the good things a book should be full of! There were lots of twists and turns, which made it a "can't put down" book for me!

I do have to caution parents that the book does deal with sexual situations, so you might want to leave this book to the older teens:)

I am really impressed with this first book of Veronica's and will definitely read any further books she writes! I'm waiting (kind of) patiently for A Bite's Tale (A Furry Fable), which I really hope will be released soon, because it sounds like it's going to be another good one!!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Witchy This Way Comes.

Veronica Blade Thx for the rockin' review! And you even posted on Amazon. I am your friend for life!

Yes, A Bite's Tale is coming soon. I swear! Just another couple weeks. Heads up though, it's a short one.

xoxo

Julie Witt I'm so glad you like it! I wasn't the only one who liked it on Amazon - all those 5 star reviews must make your head spin! You deserve it, though - your book is really good, and I don't care if A Bite's Tale is short or not - I still want to be one of the first to read it! LOL

Veronica Blade Hehe! Okay! xoxo