Ronyell's Reviews > X-Men: Curse of the Mutants: Mutants vs. Vampires

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: marvel-comics, sexy-good-girl-heroine, sexy-bad-boy-hero
Read in December, 2011

Early Thoughts:

Even though I am a huge fan of the older “X-Men” comics, I wanted to read some of the newer “X-Men” comics and I had stumbled upon this short collection of “X-Men” stories called “Curse of the Mutants – Mutants vs. Vampires.” Now although I do not mind the X-Men comics having stories where the X-Men fight supernatural beings, this collection felt too flat to me because the stories in this collection are just the X-Men fighting vampires and there is no clear plot within any of these stories (save for one story). Even though I am a huge fan of paranormal stories, this collection is not as interesting as any other paranormal stories I have read before.

What is the story?

According to the inside flap cover, the previous story stated that Xarus, the Son of Dracula, decided to wage war against San Francisco and the X-Men must stop him and his army of vampires from taking over San Francisco. However, Cyclops comes up with a plan that might stop Xarus and his vampire army and that involve finding Dracula’s body and resurrecting him! This collection has the following stories:

Storm and Gambit: written by Chuck Kim along with artwork by Chris Bachalo

Smoke and Blood: written by Simon Spurrier along with artwork by Gabriel Hernandez Walta

Blade: written by Duane Swierczynski along with artwork by Tim Green

X-Men vs. Vampires #1-2: written by James Asmus, Christopher Sequeira, Peter David, Rob Williams Mike Benson, Simon Spurrier, Howard Chaykin and Mike W. Barr along with artwork by Tom Raney, Sana Takeda, Mick Bertilorenzi, Doug Braithwaite, Mark Texeira, Gabriel Hernandez Walta, Howard Chaykin and Agustin Padilla

Uncanny X-Men #159: written by Chris Claremont along with artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz

What I liked about this book:

The only story I actually enjoyed from this collection was Chris Claremont’s story called “Night Screams” which is about how Storm became a vampire after Dracula bit her. “Night Screams” is a truly brilliant story that I have enjoyed reading because:

1) It has Dracula in the story and any story with Dracula in it is worth reading .
2) The writing and the art were top notch!

Chris Claremont’s writing is extremely brilliant as it details the struggles that Storms has to face when she was transformed into a vampire. I loved seeing the scenes between her and Kitty Pryde because those two characters treated each other like sisters and it was touching seeing how Kitty was willing to put her life on the line to save Storm. I also loved how Chris Claremont gave this story a dramatic tone as there is tension throughout this story about whether or not Storm will ever became herself again and the temptations she encounters when she wants to be with Dracula. Bill Sienkiewicz’s artwork is beautiful and has that 80s retro style look that really made me feel so nostalgic of the older comics. I loved the way that Bill Sienkiewicz illustrated the facial expressions on the characters, especially with Storm looking so pale and frightened which gave her a truly eerie look and then when Storm turns into a vampire, she has red glowing eyes and fangs that makes her look truly frightening.

What made me feel uncomfortable about this comic:

There were so many issues I had with this collection. For one thing (with the exception of “Night Screams”), none of the stories had any kind of plot that is related to finding Dracula’s body to stop Xarus from over taking San Francisco. Yes, each story has a different X-Men character defeating a vampire, but none of that has anything to do with defeating Xarus. Also, even though I liked the character Blade (at least the character I remembered from the movies) I do not see a reason for Blade being in this collection; unless he was helping the X-Men defeat the vampires. It feels like they included Blade in this collection because he deals with vampires, not because he has a connection with the X-Men and I wished that this collection explored Blade’s relationship with the X-Men a little more. Also, most of the stories in this collection are a bit flat in the writing because all you could see is that the X-Men are fighting vampires and there are no character developments or any kind of a straightforward plot that will pull you in the story. The only story that was worth reading was “Night Screams” by Chris Claremont because it was the only story that had a good and convincing plot and it was the only X-Men story that had brilliant interactions between the characters, mostly between Kitty Pryde and Storm.

Final Thoughts:

If you like to read comics that has vampires and just straightforward action with no complex character developments, then this collection might be for you. But if you love reading comics that has character developments and very touching plots, then “X-Men: Curse of the Mutants – Mutants vs. Vampires” might not be a good choice. I would strongly suggest to just read “Night Screams” from this collection since the rest of the stories are not as plot driven and well written as this story was and therefore, this collection was not an interesting read for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bradley (new)

Bradley I'm surprised this didn't have any Victor Gischler's contributions to the story considering I read them and had no idea that issues by any other authors were part of the storyline. Gischler's issues were pretty decent.

Ronyell I haven't read Victor Gischler's stories on the vampires yet Bradley, but it does sound interesting. What happens in his books of Curse of the Mutants?

message 3: by Bradley (new)

Bradley His issues may be the main storyline while the ones in this book may occur on the sidelines considering you wrote "none of the stories had any kind of plot that is related to finding Dracula’s body to stop Xarus from over taking San Francisco," and I seem to recall his issues being about that.

Ronyell Oh yeah! That is true that none of the stories in this collection have nothing to do with Xarus. I wonder why they would have a collection of stories that are not related to the main theme?

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis I've been tempted to try this volume as 'Vampires vs mutants' is not only one of the easier to explain titles, it's actually a cool idea and a nice change from all the usual 'mutant vs mutant angst and whatnot'.

Blade was most likely included because I think it's a law that any marvel comic that includes vampires must feature a Blade appearance and his origin is connected to Dracula, so there's a nemesis thing going on there.

message 6: by Bradley (new)

Bradley Blade is also in Gischler's issues. This storyline began with a one-shot that Gischler wrote called Death of Dracula. After that, he started writing for "X-Men," which was renumbered and started with #1 for some reason.

Ronyell Travis wrote: "I've been tempted to try this volume as 'Vampires vs mutants' is not only one of the easier to explain titles, it's actually a cool idea and a nice change from all the usual 'mutant vs mutant angst..."

I loved the idea about the X-Men fighting vampires also, but in this collection, all the stories were written terribly, except for Chris Claremont's story on how Storm became a vampire, which I've really enjoyed. I would just read Chris Claremont's story in this collection since it was the only one that was really good.

message 8: by Ronyell (last edited Dec 17, 2011 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ronyell Bradley wrote: "Blade is also in Gischler's issues. This storyline began with a one-shot that Gischler wrote called Death of Dracula. After that, he started writing for "X-Men," which was renumbered and started wi..."

Oh! So that's what happened! I didn't know that Victor Gischler wrote some of the Blade stories...

message 9: by Bradley (new)

Bradley He wasn't the protagonist in the issues or anything. He was one of the many characters, along with X-Men and the vampires.

Ronyell Bradley wrote: "He wasn't the protagonist in the issues or anything. He was one of the many characters, along with X-Men and the vampires."

Oh, so there was no actual story about Blade's origins or his relationship with the X-Men?

message 11: by Bradley (new)

Bradley No, they just team-up against the vampires.

Ronyell Oh. That sounds interesting...

message 13: by Bradley (last edited Dec 17, 2011 10:14PM) (new)

Bradley Here's the tpb (although the description is kind of screwy and it looks like it doesn't have The Death of Dracula, which was like the prequel to the story that he wrote): X-Men: Curse of the Mutants

Ronyell Thanks Bradley! I'll check it out!