Cassandra's Reviews > Heart's Blood

Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier

Dec 16, 2011

Read in December, 2011

It took me a very long time to read through this book because the prose was very dense to me. I had to re-read segments several times throughout the book, and I can't really say I like the author's writing style as it's presented here. That being said, this book is masterfully written. I wish I had started it on a Saturday morning so I could have read it straight through in one weekend.

The author does an amazing job of layering conflict after conflict on her characters. At one point, there were so many questions, so many 'what if's', that my stomach was in knots wondering how she could possibly make everything work out in the end. The questions were all kept separate and clear, and I felt that each was answered in their own time. The elements of the story were like the many threads in a loom, each character's actions weaving through their circumstances to make the tapestry of the book.

I was very impressed that each element was resolved in what seemed to me the only way possible given the characters the author presents. The characters themselves felt very real. When presented with choices, they didn't always do what I thought right or what I wanted them to, but I always understood why they took their courses of action. The characters were very three-dimensional.

The book dealt with some very dark issues, and was more intense than I usually like in my fiction. I'm glad I read this, but will be looking for lighter fare for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart's Blood.