Giselle's Reviews > The Lost Code

The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

May 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: arc, own, dystopia-or-post-apocalyptic, mythology
Read from May 17 to 20, 2012

I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this. The blurb gives off a dystopian, sci-fi feel to it. It obviously has some mythology too with the series titled The Atlanteans. So I wasn't sure how all this would fit together in one novel. Well, let's just say that it doesn't lack in originality! A futuristic dystopian world, domes, special genes, Greek mythology, secrets, and an adventure like no other. This is what you can expect from the world created in The Lost Code. Regardless of my rating, I was truly absorbed in this world at the start. It's so different, so much potential running through these pages that I had truly high hopes for it. I can honestly see some readers enjoying this, but I think it would attract specific tastes rather than a general readership.

My problems began with the slow, drawn out way the story is told. We start with a bang with Owen dying, this is then followed by lots of strange happenings that very much intrigued me. But then it takes a very long while to get further into the plot. We spend a lot of time with mostly unproductive tedious details and lengthy paragraphs about the summer camp the book is set in, instead of fleshing out the world and characters, or most importantly, moving on to the heart in the story: the mythology. With over 400 pages, I found myself getting bored and wanting to get to the point. By the time this happened - almost 3/4 through - my enthusiasm for it had died down so much that I wasn't able to enjoy the stronger ending.

This future is bleak. The world is basically uninhabitable because of the sun's deadly rays. People are forced to live underground or inside these Eden domes where everything is fake, but perfect. I didn't particularly buy this. Not the future itself - that is actually plausible, but the domes aren't especially believable. For one, how do they go about getting resources to keep the domes alive? And everyone is so care-free about it all. I never sensed the urgency that you get from dystopian futures where everything is on the brink of destruction. Making the setting inside this perfect, pretend world removes the dismal feeling I was expected to garner.

Our protagonist Owen is a character that I initially found interesting. He's very self conscious without much social experience. He's a bit of an outsider in his cabin but then he starts to realize he's different - very different. However, I never got to know him much more than this. I felt disconnected from him personally, this led me to become a bit detached from the story overall, not really feeling it. I also had a very hard time with his internal dialogue which he refers to as "technicians" dealing with his different organs and needs.

"The technician watching my heartbeat whispered to his neighbor, who was in charge of my blood-oxygen levels. Her screen flashed ominously. A persistent beeping made her head shake. 'There's not much more I can do', she said. 'We're going to need air'." - (Quoted from the uncorrected proof)

He has conversations and watches them "work" like this. Those parts just made me uncomfortable; I found it so bizarre. It's part of the reason I couldn't relate to Owen. There is also a little romance but I never felt real passion or chemistry between them. This may simply be because of everything stated above.

By the end, the story does pick up quite a bit with elaborate Atlantis mythology. If you can get past the overly descriptive nature of the book, the premise has immense potential. The ideas are clearly new and creative; it could become an overall great series especially with some more character development. I'd recommend this to fans of Percy Jackson, but expect a more lengthy, slower paced adventure.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Code.

05/18/2012 page 7
2.0% "So what is this? A dystopian? Fantasy? Mythology? Fit for all? Should I have read the blurb?" 5 comments
05/19/2012 page 151
35.0% "So to answer my last update, this is a dystopian sci-fi with mermaid-like genetically modified humans.
:D" 6 comments
05/20/2012 page 297
68.0% "Wow this is very... different."

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda This sounds like it could be interesting. Looking forward to your opinions and review of it!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i've been seeing this around but I don't need any slow reads right now lol. Thanks for the review and I might think twice about this one.

Giselle No problem Janiera. You never know this is a very hit or miss type of book I think. Some will love it while others just won't have the patience for it. Make sure you're in the mood for a slower paced read and it may just be your thing.

Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist) Ugh, Ive been trying to read this since Yesterday morning and I'm barely on page 10. Im gonna have to take a break from this and try to read it later. Thanks for the review!

message 5: by Henrietta (new)

Henrietta Giselle, thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book!

Giselle Thanks ladies.
@Nereyda: I actually got passed page 150 before I started feeling bored so it may be best to wait until you're in the book for a slower book. Page 10, you're screwed! lol

message 7: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Oh bummer I have this one to read =(

Giselle Crystal wrote: "Oh bummer I have this one to read =("

I'm very curious to see what you'll think. It's not a bad book, the premise is very interesting and super creative, but I just got bored with the details that seemed to go on endlessly.

message 9: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal I get bored with too many details so my hopes have plummeted lol.

BTW Amber and I used Parajunkee for our blog redo and she was awesome! We loved your new blog look so we had to steal her =D

Giselle Oh really? I'm gonna go check it out!! She does fabulous designs and such a doll to work with!

Farah Jay I didnt like it that much either....

Giselle Farah Jay wrote: "I didnt like it that much either...."

It seems to be a hit or miss type of read.

message 13: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal She was so amazing and patient lol! We are so glad that we picked her =)