Richard's Reviews > Capitol Punishment: The Hard Truth about Washington Corruption from America's Most Notorious Lobbyist

Capitol Punishment by Jack Abramoff

Dec 16, 11

Read from December 13 to 16, 2011

An interesting story showing us the inside story of the lobbying world and the sickening level of corruption in the world of politics. If you believe Abramoff, this is the story of a hard-charging lobbyist who plays the system to the hilt for his clients. He fights to protect the rights and economy of the Mariana Islands, he meets with Imelda Marcos in spy-novel conditions, and he vigorously defends tribal legal gaming operations. He also attempts to produce an action film in Africa.

Not having previously read anything about Abramoff, the story seems believable. I was inclined essentially to accept Abramoff's version of events. However, I noticed here on Goodreads, Tony Ring, an Abramoff staffer and another person convicted for his participation, gave the book 1 star and intimated that the account is not truthful. I suppose if Rod Blagojevich authors a book, the reader will come away with a pretty good impression of the disgraced governor, too. So, I don't know where the truth lies.

Taken on its own, the book is interesting and "juicy" and makes for a worthwhile read. Abramoff seems to hold nothing back, admitting where he screwed up, but defending himself where he believes he was maligned. But now I'm prepared to listen to another side of the story should I encounter one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capitol Punishment.