Brandi's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Jan 27, 12

Read from January 25 to 26, 2012

Ok, words are failing me at the moment so this won't be the best review ever written. :)

I had a hard time putting this book down, but yet I didn't like it, and that's almost never happened. I thought about adding a star for that reason alone, but in the end I just couldn't do it.

I was properly horrified by what it would be like to live in a world with Noise. Good grief, that was just....well, horrifying. I felt for Todd at first since it was clear he was lonely and it would be really hard to be so alone in a place like that. Then he quickly got on my nerves. He did crack me up with his view of Manchee at first though. I feel that way about my dogs a lot, so I totally related. They get on my nerves, but I love them.

I didn't like how chaotic the narrative was either, even though I can see how it was part of the story. Plot devise? I got it, but I still wanted to have a little more information with things. Like what the hell was it that Ben showed him about becoming a man?! I thought it might be something more like (view spoiler) since it was so horrible Todd couldn't even put words to it. Not that (view spoiler) is a good thing, but I just didn't see it with the same horror that Todd did. (view spoiler)

What in the name of God was with Aaron?! I mean really. (view spoiler)

I thought the climax was also pretty crappy. What was all this crap about hope when the odds against them were practically comical?! (view spoiler). There was no reward in this story. Even the purpose of getting Todd was illogical to me. The men could do all that damage, but they needed one boy in order to do it? And they didn't even have him until it was all done?!

I don't know. I just felt like I was slogging through one thing after another, and with little to no understanding as to why, and then not caring. Part of me wants to read the next book, but that's solely because of that blasted cliffhanger that we get left with here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

01/25/2012
37.0% "What was it that Ben showed him about becoming a man? I don't get it, lol. Well, I have an idea but I'm not sure if I'm right."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meg ♥ Wow, really a one star! Eek I can't wait to see this review. Surely it must be your cold making you think this book is one star worthy! Just kidding, but really...I hope you feel better!

The Holy Terror 1 star buddies! Yay! :D

Brandi The Holy Terror wrote: "1 star buddies! Yay! :D"

Glad I'm not alone in that! I just tried to write my review, but I'm not into it enough to make any sense.

I spent a lot of time confused. Like space travel....I didn't see it coming for some reason. Todd got on my nerves...a lot. Pffft...I don't know. I just didn't like this one, even though I had trouble putting it down. That doesn't make sense for me since usually I love books that I can't put down. Argh.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist That's so interesting, Brandi, because when I first read this, I thought Ben was talking about...what you mentioned. Just because Todd seemed so disturbed by it. I remember, when it was finally revealed, going, "that's it?" Lol.

Brandi Amelia, the pragmatic idealist wrote: "That's so interesting, Brandi, because when I first read this, I thought Ben was talking about...what you mentioned. Just because Todd seemed so disturbed by it. I remember, when it was finally rev..."

So glad you say that, because once I finally got let in on the big secret and was so let down, I started wondering what is supposed to say about me. Lol!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist No no it's not you, haha. I think, as women, the one thing is way more disturbing than the other. Or maybe it has nothing to do with that. Anyway, I was a little underwhelmed, but then I remember that Todd is supposed to be a younger protagonist, so what actually happened was probably freaky enough for him.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2013 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah Now I've read your review I can see your point. It's funny because most of these things didn't bother me as I was reading! My main problem was (view spoiler)

I still really enjoyed it overall though :o)

Brandi Right?! This is still one of the only books I can think of that I read so fast, but didn't like. Usually when I can't put a book down I know I have to like it at least a little bit, but this one just annoyed me too much. The thing with Aaron got cartoonish to me after a bit. :/

I'm glad you enjoyed it though! I'm on this tiny island of dislike over here, lol!

Sarah LOL yup you're definitely in the minority over this one - nearly all my friends rated it 5 stars! I'd say it was probably more of a 3.5 for me but I was generous and rounded it up to 4 because of the feels (view spoiler)

Still we can't all like everything :o)

Brandi Without double checking, I think only one of my friends rated this low (another one star), lol.

I'm so lonely!

Courtney Finished chapter one. I'm not drawn in the way I usually get. The plot is intriguing enough though.

Courtney Finished chapter two. One could have a drinking game with all the times he put "Noise" in one chapter alone.