J.Elle's Reviews > Choker

Choker by Elizabeth Woods

208599
Dec 16, 11

Read in June, 2011

Zoe and Cara were best friends, but then Zoe moved away. Cara is lost without Zoe and has trouble navigating the pitfalls of high school without her, especially after an unfortunate choking incident in the lunchroom garners her the cruel nickname, “choker”. When Zoe shows up unexpectedly in Cara’s bedroom needing a hiding place, Cara is delighted and doesn’t question her. Zoe helps Cara make over her image, but the better Cara starts doing, the more resentful Zoe seems. Cara starts wondering why Zoe stays hidden in her room and what she might be keeping from her.

This book was aggravating because Cara was so dependant on Zoe. First, Zoe moved away in fifth grade and now, Cara is sixteen and still hasn’t made another friend? Second, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have just happily allowed my former best friend to hide in my room indefinitely after appearing suddenly after five years has gone by, without getting some of my questions answered first. Cara naivety and dependence was frustrating and Zoe was not likeable which made Cara’s reliance on her all the harder to bear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choker.