Jrobertus's Reviews > The Lady With the Little Dog and Other Stories, 1896-1904

The Lady With the Little Dog and Other Stories, 1896-1904 by Anton Chekhov

196037
Dec 16, 11

Chekhov is a world renowned play write and short story author. His skills are obvious in this compilation. Garnett is a well regarded translator and I hope we are seeing the master at his best here. Chekhov was a physician and a member of the upper class. Most of his stories focus on this group near the end of the 19th centruy. Many elite intellectuals were closet revolutionaries and the conflict between their privileged lives and those of the proletariat around them were clearly the source of many long, long philosophical discussions and soul searching about how to shape a life. The stories are generally very interesting, although morose. My favorites here are the title story, "A doctor's visit", "the black monk",and "the husband". They all show the author as a penetrating psychologist and observer of the human condition;the Russian condition tends toward wasted lives and missed opportunities in many of the stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady With the Little Dog and Other Stories, 1896-1904.