Bryan Robinson's Reviews > Jesus + Nothing = Everything

Jesus + Nothing = Everything by Tullian Tchividjian

Dec 26, 11

Read in December, 2011

Powerful. Helps me understand all that Christ has already done for me. I view the world in a different way after listening to Tullian's messages and reading this book.

Here are some of my favorite parts:
Jesus + Nothing = Everything - Tullian Tchividjian
December 26, 2011

1. p 27 “You made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you.” Augustine

2. p29 - “If I find a desire in myself which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” CS Lewis

3. p41 - “How is your present disappointment, discouragement, or grief a window on what has actually captured your heart.” - Paul Tripp (Calvin - “Our hearts are idol making factories.”)

4. p46 - Legalism happens when what we need to do, not what Jesus has already done, becomes the end game.

5. p48 - These self imposed strictures (legalism) that we devote ourselves to seem so right, so smart....With enough rules and regulations set up, we don’t need Jesus.

6. p63 - “I know no other way to triumph over sin long term than...to gain a distaste for it because of a superior satisfaction in God.” - John Piper

7. p75 - Contrary to what I had thought, I did not need easing circumstances, relief from difficulty, and distance from pain in order to be free. I was learning that the freedom Jesus secured for me is not freedom from pain and suffering here and now. Rather, it’s freedom from bitterness, anger, fear, resentment, self-pity, offense, and suffering; it is freedom from my burdensome sense of “I deserve better,” the encumbrance of entitlement. I was realizing that only the gospel can free us from the enslaving pressure to defend ourselves. That’s real freedom - God-sized freedom.

8. p94 - I used to think that growing as a Christian meant I had to somehow go out and obtain the qualities and attitudes I was lacking. What the Bible teaches is that we mature as we come closer to a greater realization of what we already have in Christ Jesus. The hard work of Christian growth is to think less of ourselves and our performance and more of Jesus and His performance for us. “To progress is always to begin again.” (Luther)

9. p97 - What most distinguishes the gospel from legalism is that legalism says: God will love us if we are good. The gospel tells us God will make us good because He loves us.

10. p153 - When we separate biblical commands from biblical declarations, then our obedience becomes nothing more than behavioral compliance to rules without heart change. But when God’s amazing grace in the gospel grips our hearts, the motivational structure of our hearts is radically changed, and we begin to obey out of faith not fear, gratitude not guilt.

11. p179 - If we would just stop and remember the gospel, we would realize that God really is what we want most, even in our worst moments, no matter how strong the temptation we’re battling.

12. p;182 - Accountability Groups - These groups usually focus on our sin and not on our Savior. It’s about cleaning up and getting right for God - personal improvement. I need to be told by those around me that every time I sin, I’m momentarily suffering from an identity crisis: forgetting who I actually belong to, what I really want at my remade core, and all that is already mine in Christ. I need my real friends to remind me of this - every day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus + Nothing = Everything.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Wonderful quotes. I will cut and paste them onto paper and look over them in my morning time. #7 & 8 are my favorites.

Jill I just finished this book and loved reading your review...esp. your favorite quotes. They are some of my favs too.