Morgana's Reviews > Armed & Dangerous

Armed & Dangerous by Abigail Roux

Some readers said they had resigned themselves to not expecting too much from this book, since it's not, as the previous ones, the product of the collaboration between Madeleine Urban & Abigail Roux. I can proudly say I was not among them. I DID expect a lot, because I knew Abigail Roux's an amazing author. One of the very best, whether she works with or without a co-author. But Jesus Christ Almighty, not even in my wildest dreams did I expect this book to actually be so freaking awesome and exceed all my expectations!! So if you have any lingering doubts as to whether this book is worth reading, just do yourself a favour and give up on them. Go and buy this book, and prepare for THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE!!!!! If Ty & Zane together with Julian & Cameron won't rock your world than nothing, abso-bloody-lutely nothing can!

Now on to the actual review, which, by the way, contains SPOILERS, so if you haven't read the book yet, but still want to read this review, you're doing it at your own risk.

Those who know me certainly remember my reaction to Divide & Conquer. While I loved that book, some events, especially the Nick incident left me seething. It didn't help that Ty ignored the first time Zane said he loved him. I tried to rationalize, justify Ty's behaviour, his reaction to that one and so many other things, including, of course, the ending and why he left. Finally, I came to terms with almost everything that happend in that book. Yep, almost. The name Nick. Ringing a bell?

Okay, so that was how I saw things after reading Divide & Conquer (full review of book 4 here).

Armed & Dangerous opens a new chapter in Ty & Zane's relationship. It's truly amazing how far these guys have come and how much their relationship has progressed. Zane is much more confident, no longer living in the past, no longer denying his feelings. And yet, there's still a lingering vulnerability somewhere deep inside him. He knows that Ty loves him. There can never be any doubt about it. Still... when he finds out the whole truth about the kiss, when Ty tells Zane that he kissed Nick back and enjoyed it, Zane feels like he's been punched. Hard. And every time the name Nick O'Flaherty comes up something inside Zane's chest twists. I really felt for Zane. He finally left the past behind only to have his present and future overshadowed by fear that Nick O'Flaherty may try to steal Ty away from him. And then, of course, comes O'Flaherty himself. And THE TALK between him and Zane, without Ty being present. And OMG! The things that have been revealed! Jesus Christ! I was stunned speechless!!!! I HATED Nick after D&C but now I just can't. What happened in Afghanistan and Nick's silence soon after, the reason he didn't tell Ty about his feelings is now crystal clear. Obviously, I'm glad he didn't tell Ty then he loved him, but nobody deserves to go through the shit Ty and Nick went through together. Nobody. Besides, now that I know Nick is no longer a threat to Ty & Zane's relationship I find myself sympathizing with him (dare I say it?: liking him, or even if I'm not there yet, I will get to that point soon, I think).

"Nick nodded and swallowed hard. “I was in love with him. I’d already made up my mind to tell him after our tour was over. Consequences be damned, I just needed him to know. But after that….” He shook his head and cleared his throat. “There are some friends you don’t risk for your own peace of mind. Some things… at the time it wasn’t worth the risk of losing him.”

“Last month when you….”

“I knew I’d already lost him.”
"

"(...) if you’re asking if I intend to make another move on him, the answer’s no. I’ve regretted what I did every day since.” "

Oh, and I absolutely loved that Nick actually helped Zane to understand Ty better. He didn't have to give Zane the CDs with some films from when Ty and Nick and their other Recon buddies had been in service. But he did. If this isn't an olive branch, a peace offering, if this doesn't scream 'I'm sorry, I won't try anything like this ever again. You make Ty happy and I want us to get along', than I don't know what does. And I guess it's good that they are trying. Ty confessed to missing his best friend, though if he had to choose he would always choose Zane, but why make him do it?

So, the Nick issue is no longer a problem. Whoa, I really had it bad after D&C if I'm making this all about Nick, but bear with me, will you? I really had to get it out of my system.

Okay, back to the relationship stuff. I loved that Ty & Zane decided to share with each other things about their pasts. No more secrets. No more hiding. They are more open with each other. Every single time one of them said 'I Love You' I had this silly grin on my face, which means I was grinning A LOT! :D

And the sex, no, scratch that, because it was not just sex or f*cking, but MAKING LOVE! Such tenderness! And the connection they share! *sighs* God, so beautiful! I DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN!!! And FINALLY what we all were waiting for: Ty bottoming! SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! So perfect! I had happy tears in my eyes while reading that scene. ALL the sex scenes were hot and earth-shattering! So much passion and love:

"“Ty,” Zane said as he released Ty’s other wrist and moved his hand to splay his palm across Ty’s chest. “Look at me. Open your eyes, baby.”

"Zane swallowed hard as he drew a shaky breath. “Are you feeling this too?” he asked (...).

“Yes,” Ty answered, surprised at how desperate the honest answer sounded.(...) He couldn’t hear a thing but his own heartbeat. “I’ll always be yours, baby.”
"

*sighs* Yep, it's official, I'm a sap. But who cares?! It's TY & ZANE!!!!

And Lord, was I happy that Zane gave Ty the necklace! FINALLLLLYYYYYYYY!!! :D And when Zane explained to Ty its meaning, how Ty was like his compass, and then the sap comment delivered with fondness, awwwww, so romantic! *sighs*

Uhm, I think I've calmed myself enough to continue.

Damn, this review is way too long and I have yet to mention Julian and Cameron. Let me tell you this: I loved Julian in Warrior's Cross, but here I REALLY, REALLY LOVED the guy! The wit! The sarcasm! Now enter a very pissed, in kill mode and on Red Bull, Special Agent, Ty Grady and... BANG!!! I LOVED, LOVED their banter! God, some comments that came out of Julian's mouth! *snickers* Priceless! And Cam with his constant never-knows-when-to-shut-up chattering and the "“Ty is like… a ninja on crack. " comment made me laugh so hard that I thanked God nobody was home and saw me. They would think me batshit crazy, LOL

Oh, and I loved Smith and Wesson! :D

All right, I'm wrapping this up. There's only one thing left to say and that would be the ending. No cliff-hanger this time! :D Our boys get a solid Happy For Now ending, which shows that although a lot has already changed for the better, there are some things that still need working on, like coming out to their FBI co-workers, which seems not a best thing to do. Not yet. But hey! Zane is moving in with Ty! *happy dance* (if their co-workers ask, Zane rents a room *shrug*). But progress is progress and each new book brings us closer to a true Happily Ever After that Ty & Zane so deserve - and which I have no doubt Abigail Roux will finally grant them.

All in all, Armed & Dangerous is a fabulous read. A spectacular book, which is definitely my favourite in the whole series. 5 + stars.

Abigail, thank you. I can't even put into words how much the fact that you keep writing this series despite Madeleine's decision to stop her writing career means to us, readers. You truly are an amazing writer and a wonderful person. Thank you! *hugs*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armed & Dangerous.

Quotes Morgana Liked

Abigail Roux
“I'm fine, love. Agent Grady just needed a cuddle. And possibly a piece of my spleen.”

Abigail Roux
“How do you want me to touch you?" Zane asked in a voice that rasped against Ty's skin.
"I just want you.”

Abigail Roux
“I don't think I've ever been gayer than I am right now.”

Abigail Roux
“Come on, " he said after a few seconds of content silence. "Let's go see the sights for a few hours. Pretend it's real."

Zane's brow wrinkled "Pretend what's real?"

Ty slid his hand down Zane's arm and linked their fingers again. "That I can hold your hand without worrying about being reconized.”

Abigail Roux
“Ty is like... a ninja on crack.”

Abigail Roux
“I love you" Ty said, the quiet words devoid of any self-consciousness of his usual bravado. " And I've never been able to say that before with such conviction. I can't remember a time when you weren't the first thing I thought of, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I don't care what stands in our way.”
tags: love, ty, zane

Abigail Roux
“I love you, I will always be yours Zane- no matter where I am or where you are.I promise you that," he said, the words as serious as Zane had ever heard Ty utter.

Zane felt flush all over, a little light-headed, and more than a little off kilter. What Ty promised.. . It was more than Zane had ever expected to want from anyone else ever again. But he did want that from Ty, desperately.”
tags: love, ty, zane

Abigail Roux
“Does it make you feel better to know that I missed the hell out of you?" Ty whispered, lips moving against Zane's. "And I hope your still just a little angry when get back to my hotel."
Zane let out a shuttering breath, "It'll be more than just a little."
Ty hummed, the sound deep and anticipatory. It was almost a purr. "Promise?”
tags: ty, zane

Abigail Roux
“he had never felt this type of heat and longing for another person. He didn't know how Zane did it, but Ty knew that there would never be anyone else for him. He wanted Zane to feel that too, to have that assurance both physically and emotionally. He would do whatever he had to make sure Zane knew he was his”
tags: love, ty

Abigail Roux
“The CIA currently has in custody two FBI agents and a Boston police detective who is demanding they pay for the damage to his boat."
"He's okay?"
Burns nodded. "Emptied a double-barreled shotgun at a couple of Company lackeys, and then they arrested him. He spent all night claiming he thought they were the Men in Black coming to scan his brain"
Ty bit his lip so he wouldn't laugh.

-- about Nick”
tags: humor

Abigail Roux
“Cameron found himself smiling as he thought about the two tough, acerbic FBI agents. "It's so cute. They're in love."
"It's like watching two kittens fight with machetes," Julian muttered.
"Julian."
"What? Its weird!"
"No its not. They're perfect for each other. Poor Zane though," Cameron murmured. "In love with Ty Grady." He couldn't imagine how frustrating that would be. Then Julian inhaled, and Cameron chuckled slightly. Yeah, he could actually.”

Abigail Roux
“Its twice as terrifying, working with someone you love. A mistake could cost you everything. It makes what they do that much more ... impressive. "

- Julian about ty & zane”

Abigail Roux
“Zane glanced toward the stairwell, then back to Nick. "How close are you?" he finally blurted out. "I have no frame of reference, other than the oorah and your tongue down his throat.”

Abigail Roux
“You totally just outed us to the criminals.

-Ty to Zane”
tags: humor, ty, zane

Abigail Roux
“What? It’s not my blood!”
“Let me see it,” Julian demanded, and a moment later there were sounds of a scuffle from the back seat.
“I am AB positive and this is distinctly type O blood!” Ty finally shouted at him. “Look at the little Os!”

Abigail Roux
“Zane heard Ty whuff from within the bathroom, and by the time he looked back, Ty had shoved Julian’s face against the shower wall and was holding him there by the back of his head.
“Watch the elbows.”
“Watch your fingers,” Julian snapped.
“Welcome to TSA training, bitch.”
“Want the other set of cuffs?” Zane asked, hoping to appease his cranky partner. “You could spread his arms out.”
“Will someone please tell me the safe word?” Julian asked.”

Abigail Roux
“What do you want, MacGuffin, a duel?”
“No.” Julian held out both hands, one palm flat, the other held over it in a fist. “Rock, paper, scissors. Two out of three.”
Ty rolled his eyes and held out his fist, apparently willing to play. Julian hit his palm three times, and Ty kept time with his fist in the air. But when Julian threw a paper, Ty reached into his jacket with his other hand and pulled his gun, aiming it at Julian.
“Ty!” Zane said in exasperation from the front seat.
“Glock, paper, scissors. I win.”
“You are an ass,” Julian muttered.”

Abigail Roux
“You told Clancy to take her pom-poms and go home.”

Abigail Roux
“Now do you want to do this nicely, have time to pack your Uzi in your underwear, or do we get to cuff you and drag you out?”

Abigail Roux
“He's going to twitch himself through the moon roof.”

Abigail Roux
“And when we get there you can shave that fucking ferret's nest off your face.”

Abigail Roux
“Goddammit!” Zane lashed out without warning and hit the water bottle, sending it skidding across the carpet and splattering at Julian’s feet. “I’m gonna end up in the fucking madhouse because of you!” He reached out and grabbed Ty’s wrist, pulling him closer. “Loving you is going to make me fucking insane! I said no, and I mean it!”

Abigail Roux
“Deuce glanced at him before turning his attention back to Zane and Julian. “Dare I ask what you’ve done to deserve protective custody?” he asked Julian. “I deal antiques,” Julian answered in a soft voice. Deuce nodded, looking Julian up and down. He turned his head to look at Ty speculatively. “That’s a euphemism for ‘I kill things’, isn’t it?”

Abigail Roux
“Zane didn’t laugh this time. In years past he had sat uncounted times in the dark of night,smoking, shooting up, drinking, wondering if the coming morning would be the one when he didn’t wake up. Sometimes he’d even prayed for it. But not since Ty. Yeah, he believed in miracles.”

Abigail Roux
“Burns hummed, meeting Ty's eyes and trying not to smile. "You want the CIA to believe that you mistook your partner for your prisoner, handcuffed him, and delivered him to Langley?"
Ty shrugged. "I mean...he grew a beard. It was an honest mistake."
Burns nodded. "Fair enough.”

Abigail Roux
“Because… you make me the kind of person I’ve always wished I was.”

Abigail Roux
“Ty rolled his eyes. He reached to the small of his back and took out the backup gun he’d taken off one of the bodies, checking it before handing it to Deuce. “Put that under your pillow.” Deuce looked down at it with a heavy sigh but didn’t take it. “Yeah, okay. But you can keep that. My regular schedule doesn’t involve shooting myself in the ass in the morning”

Abigail Roux
“She turned and looked at Deuce, giving him a helpless gesture. “What the hell is going on?” “Livi, you remember my brother, Ty. This is his partner, Zane Garrett.”
“Hi,” Zane offered in a low voice that sent a shiver up Ty’s spine.
“And these are their… friends, Julian and Cameron,” Deuce said as he waved at the other two men.
“Nice to meet you,” Cameron mumbled. She greeted them each, overwhelmed by the surprise, then looked at the doorknob and the string of straws, shaking her head.
“What is all this?”
“It was a security measure. We’re running from the CIA,” Ty told her, not even attempting to spare her. “They’re trying to kill us.”
“Well, kill him, specifically,” Zane added as he pointed at Julian.
“I sell antiques,” Julian said, monotone.
She narrowed her eyes, looking amongst them and then at Deuce.
“Is this some sort of boys’ weekend that I’m not supposed to intrude on? Because I can totally leave before they hurt themselves trying to lie convincingly.”
Deuce gave her a warm smile and shook his head. “I think the only one lying is him,” he said, pointing at Julian.”

Abigail Roux
“Why a compass?” Ty asked. He hadn’t taken his eyes off Zane’s yet.
Zane smiled and ran his thumb across the pendant. “Because you gave me direction when I was lost. You showed me the way.” He looked up to meet Ty’s eyes. “You’re like my very own compass.”

Abigail Roux
“Julian met Cameron’s eyes.
“I’ll die before anything happens to you,” he promised.
“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Cameron whispered.”

05/18/2012
0.0% "Feels like I've been waiting for this book FOREVEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So let me say this: F*CKING FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
05/18/2012
100.0% "*happy sigh*"
04/30/2016 marked as: read

Morgana Ah, that explaines why Jaime didn't like the first book. You know, I, just like Jaime, usually go for books that are full of emotional stuff. But I don't mind those where despite loving each other MCs' emotions are more subdued. I love angst but sometimes, especially after reading some heavy one, I crave something different. So starting from A Matter of Time and then moving on to Adrien English sounds good to me :) Thanks for helping me decide, Ladies ;)

Jaime I just read your review, Morgana. Great job!

Morgana Thank you, Jaime! *hugs* I'm really glad you liked it :)

Jaime I mentioned your name in my review...you may want to kill me, lol!

message 55: by Morgana (last edited May 20, 2012 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Morgana Should I be worried? lol Guess I'm going to find out pretty soon ;)

message 56: by Morgana (last edited May 20, 2012 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Morgana I just read your review, Jaime. No worries, nobody's going to die, lol. At least not today *grins evilly*

« previous 1 2 next »