Pattyrflg's Reviews > Same Kind of Different as Me

U_50x66
Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: inspirational
Read in December, 2011

This is our book group selection for next month. I wasn't sure I was going to like this book--the story of a homeless, modern day slave and an international art dealer??? However, I enjoyed it very much. It made me think about my ideas and attitudes towards homeless people I see around me or hear about. Debbie Hall was a very special lady and took her Christianity and relationship with God seriously. Denver may not have had formal education, but he was a very intuitive man. My favorite section is when Ron talks to Denver about becoming his friend. Denver tells him about his concern that white men practice catch and release when they fish and he does not want to be Ron's friend if he has any intention of befriending Denver for awhile and then "releasing" him when he grows tired of the relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Same Kind of Different as Me.

Quotes Pattyrflg Liked

“The Word says God don't give us credit for lovin the folks we want to love anyway. No, He gives us credit for loving the unlovable.”
Denver Moore, Same Kind of Different as Me

“I used to spend a lotta time worryin that I was different from other people, even from other homeless folks. Then, after I met Miss Debbie and Mr. Ron, I worried that I was so different from them that we wadn't ever gon' have no kind a' future. But I found out everybody's different - the same kind of different as me. We're all just regular folks walkin down the road God done set in front of us. The truth about it is, whether we is rich or poor or somethin in between, this earth ain't no final restin place. So in a way, we is all homeless - just workin our way toward home.”
Denver Moore, Same Kind of Different as Me

Ron Hall
“I heard that when white folks go fishin they do somethin called 'catch and release.'
Catch and release? I nodded solemnly, suddenly nervous and curious at the same time.
'That really bothers me', Denver went on. 'I just can't figure it out. 'Cause when colored folks go fishin, we really proud of what we catch, and we take it and show it off to everybody that'll look. Then we eat what we catch...in other words, we use it to SUSTAIN us. So it really bothers me that white folks would go to all the trouble to catch a fish, when when they done caught it, just throw it back in the water.'
He paused again, and the silence between us stretched a full minute. Then: 'Did you hear what I said?'
I nodded, afraid to speak, afraid to offend.
Denver looked away, searching the blue autumn sky, then locked onto me again with that drill-bit start. 'So, Mr. Ron, it occurred to me: If you is fishin for a friend you just gon' catch and release, then I ain't got no desire to be your friend.'
I returned Denver's gaze with what I hoped was a receptive expression and hung on.
Suddenly his eyes gentled and he spoke more softly than before: 'But if you is lookin for a REAL friend, then I'll be one. Forever.”
Ron Hall, Same Kind of Different as Me