Ashley's Reviews > Christmas with Anne: And Other Holiday Stories

Christmas with Anne by L.M. Montgomery

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: canadian, childhood-favourites, short-stories, seasonal, personal-library
Read from December 16 to 20, 2011

Christmas with Anne: And Other Holiday Stories is a compilation of short stories written by L. M. Montgomery. The editor found these stories that had not been seen since originally published and combined them into this anthology, broken up by chapters from some of Montgomery's later books.

These stories were written before Montgomery became a successful author. They were written for magazines that had specific ideas about what they wanted in a Christmas story; she did not have full artistic licence over what was written. Morals are often woven into the stories, but at times are stated outright at the end which is admittedly jarring. The tales have a tendency to be overly moralistic and sweet. People tend to be two dimensional and "Christmas Spirit" is either abundant or learned.

Despite these problems, I love this book. I have read it every Christmas since I was six or seven years old. The morals of the stories can be heartwarming and I will always hold a special place in my heart for L.M. Montgomery. She is the author that I read the most as a child. I will always remember the day Anne with an E first got a dress with puff sleeves and for that story alone is this book worth the read. It's nice to be reminded sometimes about how lovely the season can be and these stories do just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas with Anne.