Liza's Reviews > A Touch of Night

A Touch of Night by Sarah A. Hoyt

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: z-read-2011, on-my-kindle-acct
Read in December, 2011

I'm giving this book four stars because it was a charming and creative take on Pride and Prejudice, entertaining enough that I kept reading because I wanted to know what happens next. The characters were entertaining, and the idea that some of the characters might be were-creatures was unusual enough to hold my attention through the beginning. The plot shifts away from the plot of P&P because of the inevitable consequences of having some important characters be were-creatures (which is illegal and punishable by death).

A few caveats. It desperately needs an editor. There are typos and grammatical errors sprinkled throughout, which weren't enough to distract me from the story. The characters do things that don't make sense in the context of the culture. That was distracting. The story as a whole could use some tightening, as things are repeated that don't need repeating. (Yes, we got the hint that [redacted] is a were. Yup, still got it. Yeah, didn't need you to point it out again, I already got it.)

The authors made the characters their own, as they do things that I wouldn't expect them to do from my understanding of P&P. It was occasionally distracting, but I enjoyed it throughout.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Touch of Night.