Ceci's Reviews > The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Jun 21, 08

Recommended for: all who want to learn more about themselves
Read in June, 2008

I think this is a wonderful book. The naivety and simplicity of the protagonist which affects the story as well is a narrative gimmick... and it works well, throwing the horrors of the holocaust into stark contrast. It's a dark adult fable, and I dare say that an adult reader will get more of it than an adolescent. At times, the narrative is almost like poetry, with the many ellipses and phrases that are repeated over and over again.

I also believe that this is an important book for the German descendants of the Nazi commandants... many hold them responsible for the sins of their fathers, when a mere child could do very little. I value this book and its message a lot more than for instance St. Ex's pretentious Little Prince. This one is true, on a fundamental level... and it opens a door to compassion... we are all the same, no matter what our age, sex, nationality... All of us shaved bald and in striped pyjamas, we'd be nothing but prey to those who want to exclude all that is different. It makes one ask where one puts up the fences, and why.

The holocaust is the darkest chapter in European history... I have lived and worked for one year in Israel and I really do appreciate this book. It is simply wonderful in all its bleakness and desceptive simplicity and naivete.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ginny (new)

Ginny What's wrong with The Little Prince??? I loved that book! I had to read it for French Lit in college--in French! It was challenging, but exhilarating.

Not that "Striped Pyjamas" doesn't interest me, it does. Still, "Le Petit Prince" is far from pretentious. Maybe I need to read it in English to see if something got lost in translation

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Mcdermott Hi there

I noticed you have some strong views about The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, which makes you an ideal person for me to ask if you would you like to put a question to John Boyne himself about his book? BBC World Book Club is interviewing him on Tuesday 23rd February and would love to hear from you. If you could email me at ruth.mcdermott@bbc.co.uk as soon as you can with your question about the book (anything - doesn't have to be particularly clever!), we can either arrange for you to talk to the man himself, or have our presenter put your question to John for you. Then you get to hear your question on World Service Radio! Please get in touch soonest, including where you are in the world and contact details.

Thanks, and all the best.

Ruth McDermott, BBC World Book Club
ruth.mcdermott@bbc.co.uk

Tonner This is quite interesting how you put this, a lot I see on here is basically saying he's too naive. I thought this somewhat, but I don't think it did, I had no trouble at all reading this, and well I think it was worth the read.