Jessica's Reviews > The Man Who Watched Trains Go By

The Man Who Watched Trains Go By by Georges Simenon

Dec 16, 2011

bookshelves: crime-and-punishment

My first Simenon but not, barring unforeseen horrific circumstances, my last.

Here's my problem: as it's a well-known fact that Georges Simenon wrote in excess of 7.6 trillion books during his lifetime, I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out which ones to read. I mean, it's impossible that they're all equally good, right? And since I could read a Simenon book every day for the rest of my life and still barely make a small dent his oeuvre, I'd love to have some guidance on which to try out first and which to avoid.... suggestions?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Watched Trains Go By.

message 1: by David (new)

David Read Dirty Snow. It's great.

So far, I haven't read any that I hate.

message 2: by Duffy (new)

Duffy Pratt Why not just limit yourself to the Maigret books? At a rate of one a month, you will blow through them in a mere 6 to 7 years. Then, if you are still hooked, you can think about tackling some of what's left.

Tfitoby sure his maigret books are such fun but his roman durs are a class act. other than the brilliant Red Lights I would suggest Three Bedrooms in Manhattan as a good place to start

message 4: by Zhara (new) - added it

Zhara Georges Simenon has some of his books reprinted by NYRB it might be easier to read those you might not need to read the rest of his books.