Brent's Reviews > Chronicles. Volume One

Chronicles. Volume One by Bob Dylan

Dec 16, 11

Read in December, 2011

Dylan is a better songwriter than he is an author. That said, I found his book to be fascinating in parts, amusing in others, and a bit unfocused at times. The story isn't linear, but Dylan manages to cover his life from the summer after finishing high school in Minnesota, to recording the album Oh Mercy! in the 1980s. The Greenwich Village parts of the book were particularly interesting and bring to life an era I'll never experience. As someone who is passionate about music, I was intrigued to hear how Dylan got his start playing in clubs in New York City, and how he went about writing his songs and recording them.

Tales of Dylan's homelife were notably minimal. His children only make the sparsest of appearances in the book and are never named. That said, Dylan's love for his wife and children is apparent, if not overly expounded upon.

I enjoyed the insight I gained into the life of this legend, but for an autobiography Dylan does an impressive job of keeping himself hidden. The reader simply has to settle for what anecdotal morsels he deigns to mete out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicles. Volume One.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephen Durbin I agree wholeheartedly with your review. I thought the book mirrored his musical career -- parts were complete genius, parts were boring and parts left me scratching my head in confusion.