Carrie's Reviews > The Annotated Peter Pan

The Annotated Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: juvie
Read from December 16, 2011 to February 01, 2012

Peter Pan is kind of a dick in the original. When he teaches Wendy, John and Michael to fly, he doesn't teach them to land. When they doze off in the air and fall, he catches them, but might not catch them the next time. And when Toodles shoots Wendy with an arrow, Peter's first reaction is to do a funny walk away from the scene and never return.

Tinkerbell is also a dick... Out of jealousy, she is the one who convinces Toodles to shoot Wendy.

Of course, Peter's dickishness and Tinkerbell's come from totally different motivations. Peter is immature and doesn't really understand consequences like death. He's reckless because he's constantly searching for excitement and doesn't mean to hurt his friends, although his irresponsibility is dangerous. Tinkerbell acts out of frustration because she's more like a grown woman who wants Peter but can't have him. When Wendy enters the picture, Tinkerbell intentionally leads her competition to harm.

Peter is a bit like Mr. Darling, only he seems like more fun. Mr. Darling throws tantrums like a child, but doesn't share Peter's love of adventure. Instead, he's a boring number-cruncher.

I'm still trying to figure out Mrs. Darling... She won't kiss her husband. I wonder if she feels superior to him. There is a line where Peter says one girl is worth 10 boys or something... I wonder if this is a theme of the story. Women are mature and reliable; men are not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Annotated Peter Pan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jackie "Women are mature and reliable; men are not"

A very interesting point. I'd not seen it this way. I like this way of thinking. Today it seems like novels today are about a weak female lead, and a "strong", controlling alpha male.