Heather's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ya
Read from December 16, 2011 to January 24, 2012

This was a long marathon of a book. Every character's storyline is thoroughly described and wrapped up at the end, which is generally a good thing. And the author stayed away from the easy happy ending, instead throwing in a twist at the end (and perhaps leaving an opening for more stories to follow).

My only real complaint (other than length) is that there was a lot of "telling" in this book instead of "showing." Conversations would be described instead of showing the dialogue. A lot of descriptions were about individual things - how someone looked at the moment of a sword strike, etc. - which slowed down battle or action scenes. In a book with a simpler storyline that's not a bad thing in itself, but in one this long I kept wishing I could chop things out. Especially since the plot, characters, etc. are recognizable from other classic fantasy, from Tolkein to Jordan. We know the reluctant ruler, the grouchy dwarves, the scary elves, etc., and I think less time could've been spent on them and more on the dragons, since that's what made this series unique.

Still, Paolini is an author to watch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.