Heather's Reviews > Classic Myths to Read Aloud: The Great Stories of Greek and Roman Mythology, Specially Arranged for Children Five and Up by an Educational Expert

Classic Myths to Read Aloud by William F. Russell

Jun 17, 08

bookshelves: for-the-little-ones, ancient-history, school-books-kid-books
Read in January, 2007

Love this book.

It takes a number of the Greek and Roman myths and shortens them to be read aloud to the little ones. The author does this without harming the story in any way. After reading many books on the ancient myths, I found these to be the best written. And he even included pronounciation helps.

That being said, there are no pictures. That's both good and bad. It forces them to listen carefully and use their imagination. But my very littlest ones get all cranky.

A large section of this book deals with the Trojan war and journey of Odysseus. We very briefly touched on that with a picture book and will deal with it more indepth in middle school. But I will use Sutcliff's books for that.

I think this has an excellent, but limited, use in the study of ancient cultures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Classic Myths to Read Aloud.