Charisma's Reviews > Other Words for Love

Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

7193940
Dec 16, 2011

bookshelves: best-of-2011-ya, ya, new-york-stories, favorites, ya-contemporary, smart-books

This is the most amazing book! I had heard such praise for it on the internet that I had to get it, and I was intrigued right off the bat by Ari’s intimate narration. My heart ached for her through her hard times and soared when things were good. I was happy at the end, even though it’s bitter-sweet, because what happened was best for Ari and she grew so much, she figured out that she didn’t need a guy to be a satisfied person. I loved the writing style, and that the subjects were deep and covered issues of depression, jealousy between sisters and friends, mother-daughter conflict, love and sex (and I must admit this story is reeealllly sexy. Blake is hot!). The characters were incredible and real, I felt like I knew them personally because they were all portrayed so honestly, as people with positive and negative points. I also fell in love with Patrick! He said the most simple things that were so loving, for example when Ari was depressed about Blake and mentioned that he had promised to teach her how to drive. Patrick says “I’ll teach you how to drive.” And that was just so simple and sweet, like something that would happen in real life. I stayed up all night to finish this book and I can’t say enough about how much I love it. Everyone should read this, it has something for everyone, you'll just fall in love. It has a delicate, quiet power.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other Words for Love.

Quotes Charisma Liked

Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
“The memory of tonight was as unblemished as new-fallen snow that I had to protect from careless footsteps.”

Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
“She was wearing her fuzzy pink hat and she was happy, which was so obnoxious. She'd become one of those people who waltzed through life without so much as a split end, and I was still one of those people who changed diapers for free but still got treated like a rented mule.”

Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
“Thunder crashed, lightning ripped across the sky, and we stayed on the bench with our arms around each other even though rain fell in heavy drops around us. I didn't mind getting soaked because it felt as if Blake needed me, and I wanted him to.”

Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
“I thought he should have realized sooner that important people don't show up very often, and you should hold on to them when they do. Maybe I was smarter than he was all along, because that was something I'd always known.”

02/07/2016 marked as: read

Jessica I just read your review! Other Words For Love IS amazing. My students are crazy about it.

Suzanne I am also a teacher, and I'm going to keep this book in my classroom library. It's great to see YA presented in such a smart way for a change!