Jo's Reviews > 1, 2, 3 Skein Crochet

Dec 16, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: pattern-books, non-fiction
Read in December, 2011

As is typical with any pattern book, I thought the projects were kind of take-it-or-leave-it; some of them I really liked, others I thought were hideous, most were just kind of blah. But what I disliked most about this book is that the patterns aren't given to you beginning-to-end, like in most pattern books; instead, the book is laid out like a pattern magazine, where you're given the start of the pattern, then it says "Continued on page..."

I like to check out crochet books from my library and photocopy the patterns I like, since I'm broke and rarely like more than three or four patterns in a book. I'm not going to pay for 25 patterns if I only like 1/5th of them. But when you put the second half of the pattern on the same page as two other patterns, I feel like I'm wasting paper when I copy that page. Maybe this was an attempt by Crow or her publisher to discourage photocopying and encourage buying the whole book, but it just irritates me.

Especially when the pattern I'm working with has a total of 3 lines on the last page. (I'm looking at pages 29, 30, and 31, which are the worst offenders, but not the only ones.) Just lay it out so I can get the whole pattern in one go. Without wasting time with patterns I don't like. And can you imagine getting on a roll with that hat/scarf/jacket/whatever you're making and then you have to turn not one page, but 14? And you have to figure out which pattern you're looking at? Also irritating.

Some projects do use only 3 skeins of yarn, but you have to buy one-pound skeins. I was thinking, "Oh, 3 skeins or less, these'll be fast." Only some of them. Mostly the one's I'll never make. Since the cover appears to feature microfiber balls and one skein of some super-saver or another, I found this use of one-pound skeins skneaky. Economical? Sure. But also sneaky. And sneaky is irritating.

Final conclusion: Glad I didn't pay money for it. (I have no comments on the patterns themselves, 'cause I haven't gotten that for yet. Being irritated makes playing with yarn difficult.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1, 2, 3 Skein Crochet.